Wanting to buy guppies where is best Jansens or Hollywoods?

Jane Mac

Hi, I'm wanting to buy some good quality guppies with the intention of practising breeding- and increasing numbers. (And also cos I like their looks :lol: )Which would probably be the best shop? I will be buying unseen and will probably need to have them couriered which sort of limits the places to go. Although a friend will be going to Whangarei next weekend so Northland Aquarium & Pets is also an option. What should I ask for? Or is there a particular person to ask for? How many to start in a 2ft tank? I understand a ratio of One Male to Four or Five Females is good? So do I get 6, or 12? I quite like the blues but, :cry: Sorry Shae, don't know their proper name :wink: Thanks, Jane

I've found both Jansens & Hollywoods to be good, one shop will have a really good selection, while the other doesn't seem to, and they appear to swap around! I've seen AWESOME males at Hollywoods, and nothing worth mentioning at Jansens one week, and the next time I go there, it's the other way around! *shrugs* go figure.... :S

Hi jane,

1. I would out an ad up in the private trade and exchange, as you will probably get the guppies cheaper, and could quite possibly get nicer looking ones. Also you may be able to get a pic of them and then you can see before you buy.

2. I keep guppies in a ratio of 1 male to 3 females as this stops the females getting harrassed to much, and consequently getting sick and stressed.

Hope This Helps

B

I have a whole heap of babies.....and not too far away :roll:

They are all still tiny though, alot of growing to do before colours will come through.

They will probably be from my purple males with orange tails......the males have gone to a shop in Dargaville, so I could concertrate on another colour type.

I haven't found any great ones in Whangarei sadly....I got my last males in Jansens Silverdale.....but again....not a great selection there either.

There is a lady in Whangarei that is breeding guppies, she is on trademe....might be worth a look :wink: Pm me for her trade name.

There are lots of guppy auctions of TradeMe and new ones being added all the time. I bought 10 babies for $15 last week, you could probably get them cheaper but I couldn't wait and so did a 'buy now'. But as Phillz says you don't know if they're going to be any good when they're that young. I hardly ever see REALLY nice guppies in the shops but I was in Hollywoods in Albany yesterday and they had some really lovely coloured males - bought one with a bright yellow tail, unfortunately I found it dead when I cleaned the tank today but I'm not blaming the shop, I THINK it might have been one of my Angels that chewed his tail!

Hi Jane,m I was talking more about the private trade and exchange here on the forum, as you will find most members will either ship them at your cost or will drive halfway to make things easier, you never know if you don't try.

B

:o Drive half way. :o I wouldn't expect anyone to do that! Even my cousins say.. "you come here"....But wonders of the world. Hark? Phillz has Fry, and lo all things come to those who have friends with family in Dargaville.....Phillz has very kindly agreed to mother her babies a bit longer until one of us is down that way. :D . Thanks Phillz. :bow: Jane