Convicts in the fish pond

Travis & Vicki

as i have plenty to go round, and the little buggers were in cold water till very recently, i have decided to release the rest of the baby cons into dads fish pond. Tauranga has a mild winter, no ice or anything like that, do you guys think they will suvive

god help the neighbours cat if they spawn in there, he could loose a toe or two :lol:

Recommended temp for convicts are 20-26 deg C, they are a tropical fish so i doubt they would survive a kiwi winter outside, it may not freeze but you are still talking very cold as far as fish are concerned, even in Auckland we get a few 3-4 deg C mornings or colder.

dad has no other fish in there, released them thismorning, thought they might freek out a little, when i had a look they were getting rid of dads mozzie problem.

it was a choice of release them in the pond or feed them to oscar, if i was a fish i know which i would prefer, will keep you posted as to how they do over the winter

These guys are a noxious pest in Adelaide, as they are in the waterways there. :-?

They are tough little buggers, so if it dosen't get to cold they could do well. If i was to add them to a pond I'd be more inclined to add them in spring, give them a while to get used to the pond before winter hits.

Frenchy :D

What is the temperature Vicki??

not sure alan, was on the way home from work

These guys are a noxious pest in Adelaide, as they are in the waterways there.

They are tough little buggers

the last time i was in adelaide it was freezing, a lot colder than tauranga

i hope the little guys do well in the pond, it was give them a try there or feed them to oscar. they are doing well for now, will see how they get on

• 2 months later...