New Seahorse tank

Kiwihiflyer

Hi All,

I am new to this site but not all that new to fish keeping. I have dabbled in salt water tanks for the last few years and have recently come into possession of an Aqua Reef 275 cube that I would like to turn into a tropical seahorse tank. I have only just started to set up the tank over the last few days so it wont be ready for livestock for a little while yet.

My idea at this stage is to use a black gravel substrate as I think this will be easier to clean and I like the look, a small amount of live rock in the tank and the rest in the sump. I would like to plant the display tank with some macro algae instead of plastic plants if I am able to source some. I may look at putting the odd coral in the tank as long as they wont harm the horses.

I would welcome any ideas that those of you with more experience may have with keeping seahorses and also any idea of tank mates that would go well with them.

Cheers

I have a little bit of Grape and a few other types i could sell to you when you're ready

That would be great, thanks. Anything that grows tallish for the seahorses to grip on would work for me.

Would you recommend putting the macro in during/as part of the cycling process or add it later on?