advice on rams please

Shelley

Hello everyone. My mother got her favourite fish of all yesterday....discus...and with them she bought a pair of the most stunning fish I have ever seen! (Rams). I really don't know a lot about cichlids....(ok...i know nothing about them) ....but the rams she bought to go with her discus are absolutely beautiful. She bought them specifically because they are supposed to be so compatible with discus (and I gather discus might be fussy about their tank mates) but what i want to know is....could rams go in a community tank with gouramis, swordtails, platties, guppies, fighter, neons, corys....... the reason i ask is because i want to be sure they will be happy in my main tank (if not i may have to wait and get them a tank of their own...they are stunning!) Thanks everyone.

Rams, very nice, Blue Rams I assume, should be absolutely fine with the discus.

They are a dwarf cichlid and can be shy at first

They are not he easiest cichlid to keep, good water quality and good food is essential.

Good luck

Bruce

Hi Shelley

I had a pair of Gold and a pair of Blue Rams, i'm down to one of each, i've bred Gold Ancistrus with no probs but would have to agree the Rams aren't the easiest to keep, they love white worms but i've got to trick my Angels over to the far side of the tank for the lil Rams to get any (angels are pigs). One of my Blue Rams developed a lump on its head that turned into a crater on it's head then died, no idea what it was. I've got all sorts of fish and they are the only ones that have died or been a problem. Probably get some more though as they are cool and get on well with B/Nose several different Loaches, Otocinclus and the Angels.

Thank you all so much for your feedback.... I appreciate it so much. Alan that was a great article you sent me the link to. I mentioned to my mother that we had peeled and popped a pea into our community tank to see what would happen to it....and it was devoured by the inhabitants....I actually put it in thinking the pleco would have fun when he found it but i don't think he got a chance....anyway...ma tried her tank with a pea...... :oops: and as of last night her male ram went into huge sulk mode...he had been feeling very amorous and was trying to encourage the female into the flower pot....... but mum felt sure that he was going to die last night :( .....and NOW the female is feeling amorous and the male isn't up to it. I haven't had an update yet to see if he is still alive but I feel guilty as hell for telling her about trying it in our main tank as she is sure it is the pea has caused him to feel so ill. I was reasonably confident of trying it after seeing the documentary on at Easter weekend...my main tank is mostly gouramis so I felt it would be ok...I really hope her wee guy hasn't died....and if he has...could it be the pea?

I'm hoping that's all it is, Dawn. The pea was cooked (without salt ;) ) ..... he is alive this morning...still sulking under the filter...though he did come out for breakfast which is a good sign...and went scurrying back to under the filter after he had had a nibble. His girlfriend came to visit and he sent her packing so he is looking a little more lively than he had been last night...but not up to his courting self of yesterday afternoon. Fingers and toes crossed he will be ok.