Cichlid Compatibility Q.

tobyy

I'm thinking about setting up a mbuna cichlid tank, with some lower aggression fish. I currently have 3 Siamese algae eaters and some plecos. Should I take these fish out before introducing the mbunas or can they live harmoniously? Thanks

One issue that I see would be the pH difference required by the mbuna. They like it rather high. Also mbuna are kinda known as aggressive. I have rusties, which are apparently among the least aggressive mbuna, but I've still had to take fish out of the tank and sell them on because they were being picked on to the point that they were close to death.

Your rift lake fish won't die without rock-hard water parameters, and if you strike a balance between the requirements of the species you should be able to keep the algae eaters and some of the hardier species of pleco.

Or you could jump on the bandwagon like so many African cichlid nuts and work hard to provide biotope-perfect parameters for your cichlids and completely ignore the requirements of the other fish...

:-?

If you are going to mix fish, be weary f feeding requirements as some plecs like a meaty based food which mbuna tend to not prefer.

I have mixed both plecos and Africans and it turned out very bad for me, so now I am in the one or the other camp.