South East Asian dither fish options?

DennisP

I'm in the process of setting up a 300l pearl gourami / south eat Asian biotope.

I'm after some interesting dither fish.

My requirements are:

Colour - I want something nice and colourful

Interesting - I want something more interesting than say Harlequin rasbora

Gourami friendly

Cost effective

I'd love a giant school of mosquito rasbora but they wouldn't survive.

They're an option, but I find they're still a bit... Standard.

I know cost effective doesn't really go hand in hand with something a bit more uncommon, but still...

I'm not prepared to spend $15 per schooling fish and get something like threadfin rainbows, but the basics are just too basic for me.

I'm really liking my Glowlight Danios, which allow for a slightly higher temperature range than some of the other small SE-A species, making them perfect as gourami tankmates. I have ~11 at the moment and they are really tight shoalers and absolutely fascinating to watch while they're eating.

"Purple head gold harlequin rasbora" have been around lately, if you're interested in either a morph or different species (unsure which) of harlequins (I don't care for harlequins either)

CPDs, Sawbwa rasbora, Neon Blue rasbora, Clown rasbora, Emerald Eye rasbora and several other rasbora and danio species are available, though many of these prefer cooler waters which makes them a bit difficult with the gourami which prefer warmer waters (I'm also not sure whether the pearl gourami will predate on any of the smaller species). Loads of larger more common danios about also, like zebras, leopards, giants etc but again cooler waters (and slightly higher flow for these guys too).