Looking at reptiles

Hi everyone,

Im looking at getting a lizard/gecko to keep in an old (still water proof) fish tank I have. The tank is a 60x30 tank (about 20 gal I think), from a quick read on the forums this is really only ideal for young small lizards. Is there a native breed that is available and stays small? I am happy to apply for, and wait to get the required license from DoC as well as pay a bit to get the right environment set up (lights heating etc.). If a native is not a good idea for a reptile beginner what would you reccomend? I have kept native shrimp and some fish previously as well as a Koura so I am no stranger to commitments and the requirements of keeping animals in captivity.

Thanks for the help :D

That size is the old 12 gallon tank (now about 50 litres) and is way too small and unsuited to reptiles. You meed something a lot longer so you can get a temperature gradient (a warm end and a cooler end) so they can regulate their temperature. I have not kept natives but I think they need a properly ventilated enclosure and to be outside rather than a fish tank.

OK, Good to know! what sort of length would be good then? I really like the look of bearded dragons, but I know that they grow to be relatively large for the kind of range im looking at.

It seems such a shame there are large restrictions in NZ on what you can and cant keep. Its all for a good cause I know, but some of reptiles just look way to cool!

Beardies spend a lot of time during the day basking so you need an enclosure that is long enough to have a warm end and a cooler end so they can pick the temperature they prefer. The heated area is where they will bask in the heat so that is where you put the UV light source and driftwood or similar to get them the best distance from the UV source (depending on the type).