Emerald Mythrax Crab

mythrax

You cant easily remove acro crabs (xanthid's) etc without killing, damaging or stressing them to near death. They are really a bonus to someone who buys an sps coral and i personally i wouldnt remove them.

I allways look over new corals/rocks for baddies ie mantis shrimps and rehouse them out of harms way :wink:

I tend to have the same feeling about other rocks as well, they are a bonus to who ever is buying the coral, i try to inspect the rock and if they want what ever is on the rock ill leave it be, if they dont want to take the gamble ill do my best to remove it

To my knowledge Maf *#%%$#! doesn't allow crabs.

This is one of there many amazingly stupid rules.

You can import live corals on rocks which may contain crabs in there holes But you cannot import crabs.

Yet ships coming to our harbours dump millions of litres of builge water from other countries in our water every year.

Most of thier decissions in these maters are regarding things that can affect our invioroment based on assumption not research.

I recall being told that they were setting up a system where people could pay for the research and get them approved if they weren't a problem, and it wasn't cheap. The problem was that one person would be pay for it while everyone else would benefit.

I don't know what happened with this in the end.

You cant easily remove acro crabs (xanthid's) etc without killing, damaging or stressing them to near death. They are really a bonus to someone who buys an sps coral and i personally i wouldnt remove them.

I allways look over new corals/rocks for baddies ie mantis shrimps and rehouse them out of harms way :wink:

I tend to have the same feeling about other rocks as well, they are a bonus to who ever is buying the coral, i try to inspect the rock and if they want what ever is on the rock ill leave it be, if they dont want to take the gamble ill do my best to remove it

so basicaly, i just go to a shop. when i get there i ask if they have any hitch hikers to give away, if they do then they do and if they don't then they don't?

Actually the rules are pretty strict regarding use of bulge water and dumping it into harbours hasn't happened for years, interestingly I dont think they are allowed to take on bulge water in harbour either. It is also illegal for any commercial vessel to dump anything in the harbour which caused problems for a few of the charter boats in Wellington a while back cause they were venting the toilets straight out, yuck!

Sorry just had to clear that up, I work for a large container shipping company, its one of those industies that gets blamed a lot for damaging the environment, when in reality we spend millions on environmental care. Most of the harbour polution is caused by small pleasure boats and people dumping stuff into their stormwater drains and thinking it just goes somewhere magical!

I also have a stream on the front of my property and every few weeks it stinks of bleach or chlorine cause someone decides to empty there pool into the stormwater or something equally stupid.

While I agree that MAF have black listed some stupid things I fully agree with how strict they are, there must be a huge number of damaging things people would like to bring in and I would rather every thing was banned and then had to be justified than the other way round. If you dont agree with this then I suggest you go and ask a farmer about rabbits or look out your window at the gorse.