location for drilling holes

Brianemone

where would be the bes place to drill the holes in a cube tank for the over flow and return??? im think base in the middle close to the back wall? so that the over flow is not all that conspicious.

and for a closed loop where would be the best place ??

the dimension are about 600mm (but only 500 high)

depending where closed loop re-enters the tank. if near the top, then yes benefits are better aeration - pretty important to keep nutrients down.

IMO - i would think in that size tank (2 foot) that two holes in the bottom (one outlet and one spraybar) plus two in the top/back should be sufficient. Make one of the bottom holes 32mm (for a 25mm bulkhead for the outlet) and the other three at least 25mm (for a 15mm or 20mm bulkhead for the inlet). You could get away with an Eheim pump to do the circulation, say a 1060.

divide the bottom into 3rd's and put the holes on the bottom on those division points. the ones at the top/back would be in similar position.

the only reason I think you should drill a small tank like this is to stealth the pumps yet still maintain good circulation.

not that i have ever noticed. they are great pumps, would be ideal for your setup. if it ever does start causing problems, you can buy impeller separately anyway and replace it. just factor in plumbing costs - even on a tank this size, you will still need ball valves ($30 each), bulkheads (about $12 each) etc. you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up. design first, go get a quote on all plumbing you need + eheim pump + drilling costs. it is definately feasible, you just need to work out whether it's cost-effective.

yeah the plumbing is i pain but fortunatly my brother in law is a plumber so i can at least get trade costs.

for the cost of drilling two extra holes and all the plumbing and the pump it would be just as easy to have the two seio's (cheaper with more flow too)

i actually kindof like the look of them and the streams as well :-? strange i know