matten filters

snookie

Yes definitely this will work. We have heaps of customer that operate their aquariums this way.

To make life easier and to ensure the most positive bacterial population I would suggest having the inlet to your cannister(where the water sucks out of the tank)

located as high as possible. This prevents the valuable *mulm* being sucked up and clogging your canister. Since you are pre-filtering you should see improved cleaning interval.

Have the foam sheet pushed up hard against the front left or right hand corner. Angle the foam out at a small angle. This creates a small right handed triangle behind the foam sheet. Place the inlet in the largest part of the corner. This way you take up less visual real estate and still have have a super powerful bio-filter.

Cheers

Greg

What grade would I need ?

If it is a show tank and you have the space I would run 2 pieces one a 20ppi and then a 30ppi.

It would depend on the inhabitants. For a heavily stocked African cichlid aquarium the all rounder option for me is the 20ppi.

Excellent mix between long cleaning intervals and biological degradation.

If it is a 60cm gap we join two pieces that measure 50.33.5cm to form a large sheet that can be cut down.

All extra off cuts can be used to replace the existing media in your canisters in the future. I'm happy to chat through any options with you. Flick me a text and Ill call you back.

Cheers

Greg