1 Bristlenose at top of tank 1 dead

Chasingthepleco

My tank is around 140L, I cycled my tank with guppies for around 6 weeks and then re homed the guppies and got a few young convicts and 2 young bristlenose from lfs. This was about 9-10 days ago but today one of the bristlenoses is dead and the remaining one is hanging out near the top of the tank. I used to breed bristlenose a couple of years ago so I know this is not good.

My tank is at 26 degrees, pH is high where I live at 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates low, I have good aeration, a variety of plants, a good filter, regular weekly water changes, I don't over feed, there are plenty of caves. My cichlids are doing well and although one of them is dominant he only chases fish away out of his territory and tends to ignore the bristlenose.

What could have caused the bn to die and is there anything I can do for the remaining one? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Add another airline or increase the one you have to aid the oxygen exchange. The bristle nose have come up to get oxygen. I think that your tank has gotten too hot during the day time or you have had an ammonia spike overnight. You could also do a water change as when there is a problem with a tank, quite often a decent water change helps.

• 3 months later...