Lighting for Frag Tank

Totara

Hi guys,

Just found this LED Light. I thought it was just another crappy one, until I noticed fish-street sells them.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=738934262

Are those lights any good? I know the auction has ended. And if not, is this any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-51-Aquarium-LED-Light-3W-x-32-Lunar-Reef-SPS-Fish-Plant-Tank-Hood-CE-/380844836033?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ac1f04c1

The tank I want to light is pretty shallow, 33 cm.

Regards,

Will

Hi all,

After seeing Morcs' CoralBox, I would really consider dropping some $$ into getting one. The tank is 1.2m long, but very shallow. Which model should I get? I have budgeted around $1000 for this build, is that adequate? Also, the tank i bought has pink silicone?? The job is pretty botchy though so I am considering tearing the tank down and rebuilding it. Thoughts? Also, it has two braces on the edge of the tank, can I replace this with one in the middle? I will upload pics later.

Regards,

Will

You will need the 90cm one, which will cost you pretty much 2/3 of your budget alone. There is no point starting a reef tank with a budget in mind in my opinion. General concensus is it will cost around $2500 for every 100ltrs of water, this isn't even buying top range equipment.

The silicone will probably be pink as its been stained by some sort of chemical treatment in the past. Regarding the bracing, it really depends on the dimensions and thickness of the glass. If I were you I would just buy new glass or get a new tank made from someone locally, it's pretty cheap and will look a lot better than using an old tank.

You will need the 90cm one, which will cost you pretty much 2/3 of your budget alone. There is no point starting a reef tank with a budget in mind in my opinion. General concensus is it will cost around $2500 for every 100ltrs of water, this isn't even buying top range equipment.

The silicone will probably be pink as its been stained by some sort of chemical treatment in the past. Regarding the bracing, it really depends on the dimensions and thickness of the glass. If I were you I would just buy new glass or get a new tank made from someone locally, it's pretty cheap and will look a lot better than using an old tank.

I am not planning on setting this up as a reef tank, just a frag tank. I would quite like to rebuild the tank this time, because I want the experience. If I am able to get the specs up, can someone tell me if the brace in the middle is going to work? I read that using a under powered skimmer is good on a frag tank, can someone confirm this? Also regarding the budget, that is ok. I am currently throwing my budget out the window :P How high up should I mount the coralbox? I am building the stand soon so I want to know how high to make my light stands. The reason I really want the coralbox is the beautiful colours, and it sounds like it is a pretty quality unit.

Regards,

Will

Yea have a go at rebuilding it, Only one way to learn. Just make sure u leak test it outside for a week before you use it :oops:

And yes the Coralbox led units work good. I have pretty good coral growth in my frag tank. I have been using the coral box for a few months now and it works good. Only thing I would maybe caution it on is if used over a 600 wide tank (front to back), it might not achieve good light cover at the edges.

I have my unit 200mm from the water and LED intensities @ 70% max. I tried upping the intensity slowly over a few weeks and a few corals didn't react well so I'm keeping it at 70%.

200mm also gives a good amount of room to work in the tank.

Here is when I first added the Coralbox LEDs.

d31848149e5b1fdb66fe131792c31c26_zpsa74b1642.jpg

The thing I am more worried about is the width of my tank being too small! The coralbox is a good 15 cm wider than my tank, I was thinking maybe going with 4 of AquaWorlds PAR38 bulbs... Just to reduce the costs of wasted power. Do people have good growth with the PAR38's? My tank is quite shallow (30cm) so I am just thinking economically. If it still is the best option I will go with the coralbox.

I am planning on adding a couple of fish to my frag tank, should I get a skimmer? I heard you could just use a HOB filter filled with carbon and live rock rubble.