new 54L frag tank and diy skimmer for my iq3 pico reef

Daz

Are you happy with it overall in person, then?

No dim edges? Nice and bright in the middle? Good color?

yea im really happy with it, its bright and has really good colour. and is running really well. but only time will tell.

Whats the evaporation like?

The optional lid might be a good investment.

yea its pritty bad. was doing daily ro top ups. made a diy lid for now. n gone to every two days ro top up.

will get the lid for the iq3 as sn as i can. will help alot.

yea im really happy with it, its bright and has really good colour. and is running really well. but only time will tell.

yea its pritty bad. was doing daily ro top ups. made a diy lid for now. n gone to every two days ro top up.

Cool, an ato might be a bit overkill cost wise eh.

Will the iq skimmer fit?

Cool, an ato might be a bit overkill cost wise eh.

Will the iq skimmer fit?

yea an ato would be a bit overkill but they are always a good way to go.

but i find that because i have to top it up every day or two i am being more consistant with maintaining the system.

and im doing once or twice a week waterchanges of only 1L which is pretty sweet.

and im not sure if the iq skimmer fits but i can measure it and let you know.

My flatmate has a DIY ATO that cost around $25 in parts from Ebay. If you want to be really careful (ie to prevent overfills just in case the float switch fails) you can add a further layer of protection with a $10 timer. By limiting the length of time the dosing pump can be on each day, you can restrict maximum flow into your tank per day; for example the pump does around 40 ml/min, so if you run it twice at 2 mins each time, max into the tank can be 160ml/day even if float switch breaks.

I'll be using the same circuitry and adding a semi-auto water change topup feature to automatically fill my display tank from a large reservoir once I have finished removing old water, all I will need to do is flick 2 switches (my project this week).

If you're interested we can share the items required and how to set it up.

The only in-tank eyesore is the float-switch (which can be hidden in your rear compartments).

My flatmate has a DIY ATO that cost around $25 in parts from Ebay. If you want to be really careful (ie to prevent overfills just in case the float switch fails) you can add a further layer of protection with a $10 timer. By limiting the length of time the dosing pump can be on each day, you can restrict maximum flow into your tank per day; for example the pump does around 40 ml/min, so if you run it twice at 2 mins each time, max into the tank can be 160ml/day even if float switch breaks.

I'll be using the same circuitry and adding a semi-auto water change topup feature to automatically fill my display tank from a large reservoir once I have finished removing old water, all I will need to do is flick 2 switches (my project this week).

If you're interested we can share the items required and how to set it up.

The only in-tank eyesore is the float-switch (which can be hidden in your rear compartments).

dont think im going to add an ato. but thanks for the offer. and if you do set up a diy ato and auto waterchange id be really interested in how it all goes so keep me posted. :bggrn:

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hi all.

just thought id put a post up on how my iq3 is going, the new mods im going to add, and my new 54L frag tank.

iq3 has been running really well, but has been a challenge. hopefully with the new skimmer and media rack it will start being a little more stable.

will be adding carbon, purigen and phosguard if i can fit it in.

this is the skimmer/media unit i am going to build.

have just started running a 2ft 54L tank with sump, sump holds about 20 l. was a 30l tank. will be used to house different types of corals but mainly softies with a few lps and 1 or 2 species of sps. and i will be adding fish but only one or two. ( cant have fish in my iq3 :( )

i almost have everything but still need to get a skimmer and some other filter media. am running rock, rubble and carbon at the moment

will post pics up when i get a chance.

the dude in the video link you posted surely has made a very good DIY filtration system thanks for sharing!

no problem. and yea i thought it was genius. especially for such a small system. hope it helps me out and will keep posting on how its running ect.

have marked it all out just have to cut and silicone then it'l be ready to go.

i am going to be starting this system again as my live rock is going in my 54L frag tank and so are all the corals. and will be moving the light over too.

i am going to be using dead rock and sand (its BB atm) and this new filter system. run it from scratch this time and see how i get on.

when i first started it i used live rock that was a couple years old so that helped alot.

i know it will be alot harder this time around but will just be for fun as my frag tank will be my main priority.

Yeah was mega small did he say 2 gallon??!! cant really put any fish in there will have to be a coral and snail tank haha

Yes fair enough I had a lot of doubt about whether or not to start will all dead rock or not but decided I didnt have the patience in the end haha be interesting to see how it goes for you!

Yeah was mega small did he say 2 gallon??!! cant really put any fish in there will have to be a coral and snail tank haha

Yes fair enough I had a lot of doubt about whether or not to start will all dead rock or not but decided I didnt have the patience in the end haha be interesting to see how it goes for you!

my iq3 is just under 2 gallon. so yea really small tank. and will prob just have a shrimp from the local rock pools and a snail. but mainly just for soft corals.

and starting with dry rock is ok just takes time to settle in and go through the nitrogen process.but i will add a tiny bit of live rock just to kick start things but probably only 1 or 200grams. should be a fun challenge