Are african cichlids or community fish easier to care for?

samuel90

With most fish, you buy them healthy, give them clean water and enough space, and they will do pretty well for you. In my experience there is very little difference between African cichlids and community fish in this regard.

Then once in a while you come across a species that you just don't seem to be compatible with. Other folks you know could breed them in a bucket, and you give them the royal treatment, and they still whither away with no sign of breeding ever. In African cichlids for me Paracyprichromis nigripinnis is such a species from the African cichlid world, and Xiphophorus montezuma is one that could be called community fish. I've tried each countless times wasting oodles of money with no success. Luckily once I get to NZ, I no longer have to worry about either one of those :wink:

I have found africans to be easier to keep than community fish. More hardy fish from my experiences.

but fmueller is right basic aquarium husbandry no mata what you get they should do fine.

I have kept many different types of fish over the years but always end up back with africans. :bggrn:

and if your committed to a weekly wc on whatever you get they'll do great. Or a 25% twice a week is what I try do with my africans.

as for community fish I found I lost fish on a more regular basis (dont know why tho :( ). And also my water comes out the tap at 7.8ph so dont have to do anything to it just let my coral rock do the buffering for me :thup:

I do love community fish as much as any other fish so its really personal preference, and what you are looking to achieve with your tank.

So its up to you at the end of the day.

go with what you like and what you want to look at and enjoy everyday.

hope this helps.

like all things if you set up correctly and maintain that then anything will be fine. Some fish are more work than others in regard to feeding requirements or water changes etc.

It will be easier going with which ever suits your water from the tap. Town supply or concrete tank water is more suited to africans, water from plastic tanks is suited toward south american species. You can keep south americans if using town supply as most do but you'll need to change the water parameters to suit them more.

It depends on the setup you have for your fish.

Typically africans are looking at a minimum tank size of 200L, more when they grow to adults or if you have more aggressive species.

Higher volumes of water and decent filtration means you have more room for error.

Tropical on the other hand is typically lower tank sizes, so errors become more prominent and can have greater consequences.

Also tropical freshwater fish species vary greatly, you are asking us to make sweeping vague statements about community fish.

If you have guppies or other livebearers, you can practically stick them in a mug and they will live.

Whereas if you have Discus you need much tighter controls on your temperature and water composition, as they can easily develop diseases.

Also community fish usually live with live plants, so you have another level of care required to have nice live plants (good lighting, CO2 dosing, fertilizers, correct substrate, etc).