Peacocks & Egg Spots Question

flymike

I have a dozen stuartgranti maleri juvies that iv been growing out, they are about 2.5 inches long now.

I wasn't able to tell 100% M or F when I vented them all awhile back, I'm not very experienced at venting and couldn't see alot of variation on such a small fish.

I now have one definite female fish holding.

All the fish look the same, brown stripy body with a yellow anal fin

apart from some have egg spots starting to show, the holding female doesn't.

In your Guys experience...

Are the fish with the egg spots more than likely males?

Thanks

Mike

I would say that they are males but its not a 'Rule' to follow. Venting is the best way to sex them when they are young. Females will breed when the males are not coloured but the eggs may not be fertile all the time.

Do you know what type of Stuartgranti Maleri they are?

I would say that they are males but its not a 'Rule' to follow. Venting is the best way to sex them when they are young. Females will breed when the males are not coloured but the eggs may not be fertile all the time.

Hi rcon021

They were sold to me as Stuartgranti Maleri Yellows, but im never 100% when buying. I have an older male from the same parents, will put a pic up tonight.

Im planning to thin out the juvi males to make some more space as they all get bigger.

I've vented bigger fish before with no issues. but with these, I had the magnifying glass out and still couldn't be 100%, But like I said, not very experienced

Thanks

Mike

i had some males in the past that had some egg spots as did some females and some had no egg spots at all so it is hit and miss.

it's probably more accurate to look for colour but the only sure way is to vent them.

males have to vents the same size, females have one that is much larger than the other.

Heres a pic for you rcon021

P1040517_zps4b256f1b.jpg

This was taken about 6 weeks back, his colors are much brighter now.

Would love your input about if it is Stuartgranti Maleri or not? I have asked myself quite a few times

Thanks

Mike