Pure Mbuna Species/Localities

Mcculloch

The main reason I gave up on keeping Malawians was I have next to no interest in Peacock/lithobate/open water hap type fish from that lake, the Malawians Ive always liked have been the mbuna types and we seem to have such a limited selection here.

And its not because i'm a purest or anything its just once you cross breed everything they all start to look the same and variety is whats so cool about these fish!

Just wondering on whats out there beyond the Hybrid zebras, Electric yellows, Demasonis, Auratus etc ?

I think you pretty much covered most of the mbuna. I have seen dogtooth afra and rusties but thats about it. Haps are about the only malawians we have here that you can still find some nice examples of. There are so many rubbish peacocks and mbuna around. Pretty hard to got hold of any decent mbuna.

Thanks Daz there is actually quite a lot more on the allowable import list than I've seen actually here.

Yeah Ive seen the Auroras around too.

Ive seen some nice Pseudotropheus saulosi and heard of and seen pictures of some Tropheops chilumba.

The other thing is, you never see is the species we have being displayed nicely either there always in a mash up of different african cichlids.

A whole species tank dedicated to Melanochromis auratus for instance would look great !

Have you seen a pure strain of Pseudotropheus socolofi camtang ?

Yeah a bumble bee was one of my first disaster fish years ago.. decided to systematically kill every other fish in my first african tank.

Yeah I think the tropheops I'm thinking of were either Ryan's or via Ryan to the person who showed me... it was a while ago now.

Yes species tanks with mbuna are what I like, display them like most people display Tropheus and they start to really look good imo.

Have you seen a pure strain of Pseudotropheus socolofi camtang ?

Yeah a bumble bee was one of my first disaster fish years ago.. decided to systematically kill every other fish in my first african tank.

Yeah I think the tropheops I'm thinking of were either Ryan's or via Ryan to the person who showed me... it was a while ago now.

Yes species tanks with mbuna are what I like, display them like most people display Tropheus and they start to really look good imo.

Pure socolofi used to be around both blue and albino, there should be pure trewvassae, bumbleebees, auratus (abino and normal) johannii, cobalt zebras, red zebras, chilumba, afra and probably a few others around in the country. Mbuna are one fish that I would like to see more pure examples of in NZ there are soo many rubbish ones around, but I guess its the same as with haps as well.

I have a few spare chilumba for sale too if anyone wants some, they are nice fish.