What happened to my Giraffe

bigfishhead

I know I probably need to post this at disease section. But I trust we do have more Cichlid experts viewing this forum here than disease section so I'd try here first.

My Giraffe cichlid died this morning. He is about 3 years old. Around 20CM.

In the past few weeks until yesterday VERY healthy and active. Same as other cichlids in the display tank.

Suddenly this morning I found him laying dead at the bottom of display tank. :tears: :tears: :tears:

I suspected was kill by big boss front... As he killed 4 other male fronts already...

But when I took him out there is no wound on the body or tail or fin... NO sign of attack.

But I noticed some unusual white color map shape marks on his face. His body is dark blue color for some reason....Poisoned :facepalm: ?

Do I need to worried about other cichlids in the same tank? A massive water change? (havent done water change for a week, I normally do water every second week). I havent added any new fish into the tank for several months. There are about 30 other tanks mates in the display tank. Size range from 10cm to 25CM... Feed on NLS only.

Anyone any idea? How to treat? Thanks in advance, much appreciated :hail::bow: !....

24bnbc3.jpg

2i0x9v6.jpg

5yavc9.jpg

Man that sucks they are at their best when they start hitting the 20 cm + mark. Weird that he would just keel over like that I take it all the othet fish are ok. How big are your wc if you are doing 1 wc every 2wks 30 fish of that size is a lot of waste. Could it be water issues?

Man that sucks they are at their best when they start hitting the 20 cm + mark. Weird that he would just keel over like that I take it all the othet fish are ok. How big are your wc if you are doing 1 wc every 2wks 30 fish of that size is a lot of waste. Could it be water issues?

:tears: Thanks man. My other fish are fine when I left home this morning...

My tank when not fill to the top is about 700L. I normally do 50% ~ 60% wc every second weekend. This works well in the past two years. But by saying that could be waste in the water, I havent clean my FX5 for about 8 months now...

As I have wave maker and FX5 output combination to direct all the waste to the input nozzle. Not much waste you can see in the tank at moment.

But yeah could be the BIO filtering in FX5 need a bit refresh and clean.

I will do a water change tomorrow and clean my FX5.

I lost two J.regani this week from the grow out tank too. I guess this week just one of those days...I need to move them into a bigger tank. But too many things going on just no time to re-range these. :facepalm:

If that had been your wc schedule for 2yrs and you have had no problems then I would be surprised ifbthat was the issue. Still, wouldnt hurt to clean ya fx5 out. Mine is probably due for a clean to. Hope you dont lose anymore fish.

If that had been your wc schedule for 2yrs and you have had no problems then I would be surprised ifbthat was the issue. Still, wouldnt hurt to clean ya fx5 out. Mine is probably due for a clean to. Hope you dont lose anymore fish.

Thanks man. Filter cleaned and 50% wc weekend. It seems ok now. Finger cross...