Dumb heater question...But help, please?

Lupetta

I've got an Aqua One 25w heater for my 20 litre tank (which I'm literally in the middle of filling up) and I know this is terribly dumb, but is it safe for the top of the cord to go in the water? I've been assured by the guy at the petshop it is...But still feel uneasy since...Y'know..Electric shock and all. It's got 2 suction cups and is positioned upright on the side of the tank but once the tank is filled to the appropriate line for the filter...The top of the heater and about 5cms of cord will also be underwater....Am I doing it right? :oops:

Thanks so much :)

I filled the tank...And even though the video said to fill to the edge of the black rim, the guy at the store said as long as a certain portion of the filter is submerged it was fine...I did that, and the top of the heater and filter are dry, cords and all *happy dance* but hopefully that's safe too? No part of the glass of the heater is exposed...

Also, the suction cups keep popping up a bit...Not coming off completely, but I need to keep pushing them down which I can't do once the heater is running (which I'm just about to turn on)...Any tips?

I need to keep pushing them down which I can't do once the heater is running (which I'm just about to turn on)...Any tips?

Why can't you?

The glass on most doesn't get particularly hot, the water absorbs the heat very quickly. If you wrap your hand around it and insulate it from the water they'll start to get hot, but how long does it take you to push on it? Or you could even just push the suction cups themselves.