Lighting: 2xT8 vs T5HO

kinnadian

I've got a heavily planted medium-tech 2ft tank (54L). Currently it has a crappy single 1x18W T8, and I need to upgrade.

I'm dosing liquid ferts, have DIY CO2 and just need lighting upgrade.

All plants seem to be doing OK in my tank as is (not growing, but not dying) except for carpet growers (eg dwarf sags).

I don't mind the $50 upgrade to T5HO, I'm just worried that too much light will promote algae growth. Getting algae off plants and glass is a PITA.

Is T5HO overkill for a 2ft tank?

Fgood plant growth you need ferts CO2 and light and upgrading the light will not do much without good CO2 which you cannot get with a dyo.

Everyone always prattles on about the 2-3 watts/gallon rule. Right now I'm at 1.3 watts/gallon, which as far as my reading goes, doesn't suffice for "medium" lighting (2 watts/gallon). That's the basis of my question, I guess.

I'm dosing a small amount of Excel Flourish as well.

How old is the bulb? I'm running a single 18w T8 on my 75x35x38 tank and everything is growing well, no CO2 or ferts added.

About 2 months old. Plants in my tank ARE growing, but they lose their vivid green and med/high lighting plants barely grow at all.

I think watts per litre is bollocks for a number of reasons and I still think it is about balance of light ferts and CO2 and it is no use increasing just one as it is the balance that matters.

I don't intend on only increasing the light. I've started dosing liquid fertilizers and CO2 but my lighting I don't feel is sufficient, thats why I wish to upgrade it... It's a 3 part upgrade and this is the final part.

The quality of light rather than amount is important. Get a decent bulb.

If you do go t5s or even a powerful led having the ability to raise it gives you a lot of flexibility with getting the lighting just right

What specifically should I be looking at for bulb quality? At the moment I have a high end decent output T8 from a hardware store.

Are bulbs like Hagen Aqua Glo or Aqua One Sunlight much better? They appear to be 10K which I thought was too high?

My understanding was these are just basically rebranded high end hardware store bulbs that get a $20+ markup.

I think watts per litre is bollocks for a number of reasons and I still think it is about balance of light ferts and CO2 and it is no use increasing just one as it is the balance that matters.

Agreed, tank depth is far more important than the total volume.

I don't intend on only increasing the light. I've started dosing liquid fertilizers and CO2 but my lighting I don't feel is sufficient, thats why I wish to upgrade it... It's a 3 part upgrade and this is the final part.

What is the CO2 saturation of your aquarium at the moment?

Are bulbs like Hagen Aqua Glo or Aqua One Sunlight much better? They appear to be 10K which I thought was too high?

My understanding was these are just basically rebranded high end hardware store bulbs that get a $20+ markup.

I've used Power Glo and Aqua Glo with great success, will definitely be buying them in the future despite the high price.

Agreed, tank depth is far more important than the total volume.

I don't disagree that it can be used out of context, it is just a general rule of thumb used for typical dimensioned tanks.

The point I was trying to make was that I believed that my tank had insufficient light for what I was aiming for, and this general rule of thumb would agree.

What is the CO2 saturation of your aquarium at the moment?

I don't have an adequate testing kit for CO2, only the basics. I hope to get a kH test kit soon.

I've used Power Glo and Aqua Glo with great success, will definitely be buying them in the future despite the high price.

OK I'll look into it.

Still not sure if T5HO is overkill vs 2xT8 though...

n adequate testing kit for CO2, only the basics. I hope to get a kH test kit soon.

Get a drop checker, they're cheap and far easier to use.

Still not sure if T5HO is overkill vs 2xT8 though...

Assuming your aquarium measures 600x300x300mm and you're not using pressurised CO2, yes 2x T5HO will be overkill.