fattening up a mandarin

chimera

I read that if you cant get a Mandarin fish to fatten up, you can, strangely enough, feed it skin from a mandarin (hence how it got it's name) I didnt have mandarins so put a small piece of sliced up orange peel on the bottom of the tank. Wow, he actually started to eat it! All the other fish weren't interested though. Apparently they need a large amount of vitamin C in their diet and the roughage from the skin does wonder for their digestive system. Trying to find the link I read now...

• 3 weeks later...

Chimera - did it work? Is it fattening up? A pal of mine in the states - Eric Bornemann used to advocate not keeping them in anything other than a well established reef tank as they need a good supply of copepods to scoff. He will be interested about the mandarin skin though. Good on you if it was successful. Beautiful fish aye !

funny that, I have been trialling some stimubait products (for an angling magazine), supposed to be pheromones in pellets spray oil etc. I did try it on mine with the oil just floated on the surface to see the reaction, well it worked. Thing is, maybe it might entice your fish to eat a little of the bait enhancer mixed with food.