First tank

Spartica

Hi there

I'm looking at setting up a planted tank. Due to limited space I found a nice ice bucket to try it out in. I wish to try doing a walstad setup of potting mix and either gravel/sand layers. Through a video they suggested a potting mix with a nitrate level of 0.05%. However I cannot find an ingredients list for any of the main gardening suppliers (Yates, tui, Daltons). So was wandering what others have used for their setups?

Many thanks!

bumping this up so hopefully you can get an answer.

I have no idea what you can use for a planted tank as I've only ever just used plain gravel in my ordinary community tank and left the fish wastes to do the plant feeding.

I'd be cautious about using garden potting mix but I know nothing about it so experts please help Spartica

Hi there

I'm looking at setting up a planted tank. Due to limited space I found a nice ice bucket to try it out in. I wish to try doing a walstad setup of potting mix and either gravel/sand layers. Through a video they suggested a potting mix with a nitrate level of 0.05%. However I cannot find an ingredients list for any of the main gardening suppliers (Yates, tui, Daltons). So was wandering what others have used for their setups?

Many thanks!

I don't think I'd use potting mix, just go to your garden center and buy a bag of Dalton's Aquatic Mix.