What are you ideas with african cichlids?

samuel90

What type of set ups would you guys go for in a 75 gal 1200mm tank?

Currently: 18 Electric Yellows, 1 Bristlenose, 1 Demasoni, 6 Peacock males- all different.

Because my yellows are now starting to kind of form a domination, I notice everyone hiding all the time and they are not all out and about playing anymore! So I am looking into what options I have to bring the spark back to my tank.

Option 1) Sell 15 Electric Yellows- keeping 1 male and two females. Buying 3 Moorii Blue Dolphin- 1 male and 2 female, 3 Frontosa- 1 male,2 female, 1 Lithobates male, 1 Electric Blue male. - Although would the 3 remaining mbuna yellows + new electric blue be alright?

I did some reading that dolphins and frontosa are alright with peacocks/haps?

Option 2) YOU TELL ME :)

stick with the yellows. The haven't formed a gang, it will be one or two dominant fish that the others will be hiding from.

The fontosa and dolphins will get too large for your tank.

The best way to sort aggression in a african tank is add fish so the dominant fish has so many fish to chase he can't keep up.

What are you tank dimensions? can you post a picture so i can see your rockwork etc? what filtration you running?

I would add more demonsoni, another 12 or so and see what other species are also available. I'd add another species like fryeri, cobalt blue or red zebras but that will depend on availability.

Sell some of your yellows, reduce the group to maybe 8 or 10

I agree thin the yellows down to 8-10 and try and rehome the hyper dominant ones. 18 is a pretty big colony and yellows breed fairly regularly and you may be over run with them soon.

I would on sell the arautus to as these guys are super aggro and need a big tank, 4ft won't cut it. I would pass on the fronts as they will get to big. You could get some dolphins as they are slow growing but you will need a bigger tank to keep them in eventually. The litho and the fryeri might squabble a bit to as they are pretty similar looking, won't know till you try.

You could look at getting a colony of demasoni , 15 or so would be a good start

stick with the yellows. The haven't formed a gang, it will be one or two dominant fish that the others will be hiding from.

The fontosa and dolphins will get too large for your tank.

The best way to sort aggression in a african tank is add fish so the dominant fish has so many fish to chase he can't keep up.

What are you tank dimensions? can you post a picture so i can see your rockwork etc? what filtration you running?

I would add more demonsoni, another 12 or so and see what other species are also available. I'd add another species like fryeri, cobalt blue or red zebras but that will depend on availability.

I just need to find out who the aggressive fish is! They are defiantly hiding all the time and it sucks! Spent so much money to stare at a bucket of water!

dimensions are 1200x480x450-

Running Aquaone 1200 and Aquaone1250 canisters.

see these links for my rock layout:

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab15 ... 917fd4.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab15 ... 6b77af.jpg

The only thing with adding demasoni - is aren't they super aggressive and will hunt my peacocks even more? I also hear cobalt blues are quite aggressive?

If I sold 15 Yellows, and got 12 demasoni +3 fryeri it could be better? I realllllly want dolphins but fryeri could do the trick!

I just need to find out who the aggressive fish is! They are defiantly hiding all the time and it sucks! Spent so much money to stare at a bucket of water!

dimensions are 1200x480x450-

Running Aquaone 1200 and Aquaone1250 canisters.

see these links for my rock layout:

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab15 ... 917fd4.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab15 ... 6b77af.jpg

The only thing with adding demasoni - is aren't they super aggressive and will hunt my peacocks even more? I also hear cobalt blues are quite aggressive?

If I sold 15 Yellows, and got 12 demasoni +3 fryeri it could be better? I realllllly want dolphins but fryeri could do the trick!

forget it about getting rid of the aggro fish, get rid of one and another will take his place. If you don't want aggro fish get something other than africans :)

I would create separate piles of your coral/rocks etc. Give dominant fish different areas to claim rather than just one structure, create spaces between them and define areas as best you can.

keep the yellows i think. Add demonsoni, they are very aggro but search "conspecific aggression" to understand what they are like, they are aggro toward their own species generally so keep them in groups of one or 12 to spread the aggro behaviour between many.

you have heaps of filtration so load it up, add a lot more fish gradually. As you add more numbers the tank will calm down, at the moment the aggressor has only a few to chase, when he has 20 or more to chase he'll get tired of it or if he keeps it up there will be soo many to chase then each fish will only get a small amount of harassment generally.

You do need to play with your setup in the way of rockwork etc and stocking but you'll find the best way eventually. Also keep in mind that fish have differing temperaments from fish to fish like humans or other animals so results can vary with the same species.

+1 with the rock territories, try having 2 separate rock piles as suggested by smidey at the moment there is 1 structure so the dominant fish are trying to claim it if you split the rock/coral into 2 piles you give the fish more territories to claim.

If you go for 3 fryeri will this be 1m and 2f, not sure this will help as fyeri females are notorious for crossbreeding with peacocks so the 2 female fryeri may cause your male peacocks to start fighting. I would suggest a single male fryeri.

Are you sure it is the yellows that are causing the problems, they are usually pretty mellow i would have thought it would be the dragonbloods or lwanda or lemon jake that would be kicking off?

forget it about getting rid of the aggro fish, get rid of one and another will take his place. If you don't want aggro fish get something other than africans :)

I would create separate piles of your coral/rocks etc. Give dominant fish different areas to claim rather than just one structure, create spaces between them and define areas as best you can.

keep the yellows i think. Add demonsoni, they are very aggro but search "conspecific aggression" to understand what they are like, they are aggro toward their own species generally so keep them in groups of one or 12 to spread the aggro behaviour between many.

you have heaps of filtration so load it up, add a lot more fish gradually. As you add more numbers the tank will calm down, at the moment the aggressor has only a few to chase, when he has 20 or more to chase he'll get tired of it or if he keeps it up there will be soo many to chase then each fish will only get a small amount of harassment generally.

You do need to play with your setup in the way of rockwork etc and stocking but you'll find the best way eventually. Also keep in mind that fish have differing temperaments from fish to fish like humans or other animals so results can vary with the same species.

Ok so I have separated it into two little kingdoms for them! They are out and about now... but that is because they are nosey little beggars. Hopefully they stay out!

Will get another 3 coral rocks for the left hand side kingdom to make it a bit higher, and will look into buying 12 Demasoni. Will pass on the idea of getting more haps.

Hopefully this settles down whoever was terrorising the rest into submission and hiding.

On another note, I have painted my background black as I like the contrast- but was told by LFS it puts them into hibernation mode? Is this bollocks or truth?