need help sexing my l002's

G.Eagle

mmm, i have 4, two are 8cm, 1 is the big guy round 9cm+, and a small 1 round 5-6cm, all the same age. geoff what are looking at here to sex them, mainly the head?? they all seem to be hairy..

I couldn't see the hairy lower half of the body, but that is a male thing exclusively with this L number.

What I am mainly looking at here is the body shape.

Basically they are two triangles, back to back.

So one triangle from the tip of the nose to the start of the pectoral fins (and across the body to the opposite pectoral fin and back to the nose), then another elongated triangle from the start of the pectoral fin down to the tail.

If it was a female, then I would expect the second triangle to start at the start of the caudal fin, and go down to the tail.

The area in between the caudal fin and the pectoral fin, in this case would be more rectangular.

If the fish is "over conditioned" then other factors can come into play, like the head shape, hairy parts, thickness of the leading edge of the pectoral fin, thickness of the top edge of the tail fin, etc.

Those features having different dominance depending on what genus you are looking at.

Cheers

hey thanks for explaning it geoff, been doing lots of reading but couldnt find how you have just explaned it. yeah they arnt the greatest photos sorry, hopeing to get a good camrea very soon, them ill get some better photos, im just hopeing i dont have 4 males lol. hey geoff why would there be such a size differace in l002s from the same batch, male-female??

I would think it would be more of a domance thing.

The big one is obviously the domanaint male, so he will keep the others away from food etc, and get more exercise doing it.

If you feed in multiple parts of the tank then they all get more food.

Also sometimes subdominant males like to stay that way so they don't become a target.

Cheers