480 litre African cichlid build

Scarletmonuka

Hey guys time to start this off on here.

Tank is 2060 L by 525 H by 425 D

Currently it's housing 2 zebra loaches, one small gold spot pleco, one small Syndontis Decorus and one decent size gold Severum. The Severum is my wife's and will be moving to another tank when she sorts one for it.

Here is a shot of the tank as it stands now

IMG_1105_zpsd96a070a.jpg

I currently have 3000 litres an hour in filtration in the for of two internal filters and one canister filter. I do plan on getting rid of the internal filters and will be getting a 2700 litre an hour aqua one canister filter. I am uh decided weather or not to ungraded the 1000 litre an hour canister to a 2400 litre an hour one due to the length of the tank.

Our boar water kh is really quite low here so my darling wife is getting me a 25kg bag of agronite substrate for Xmas and I have collected a small amount of lime stone from one of the local quarries. I have been told to go back in the new year when they are not so busy to get som more. Hoping this should sort this issue out.

Right stocking. I believe I want to base this tank around electric blue fryier and brown haps. Biggest problem is getting a good range of high quality fish down here in southland so most will have to be sent to me so you breeders out there expect to find some pms from me in the near future. I want to grow them all from fry/juvies as well.

Any ideas on what I could add to my stocking list?

Ok I have more photo's to put up later on but for now this is it.

Cheers.

The two bigger pieces are part of a toatra (I can't spell) root that I cut in june. they spent about a month in a bath outside.

IMG_1106_zps375db8d5.jpg

IMG_1107_zps14640605.jpg

the bigger smaller piece is just wood from a pet store that was used in a reptile tank so it needs to water log again. and the other two are just mac. they were the first two pieces I ever did so I have had them in every tank attempt.

IMG_1108_zpsf6425227.jpg

on another note heres the limestone and other rocks I have at the moment

IMG_1109_zps121ce2a9.jpg

IMG_1110_zps987423f0.jpg

IMG_1111_zpsf19ff8a3.jpg

I am not sure how good that freshly cut would will be.. I don't usually do wood in tanks but it is generally not recommend to use fresh stuff..

Regarding stocking you could add all sorts to that tank it depends on what you like really, you could chuck some dems/yellows in there, I would be wary of adding too many of the bigger haps because your tank isn't huge but you could get away with it. I also have some nice brown hap fry growing out if you need some of them in the future.

The wood was cut in June and spent 5 months outside on the porch drying out the was put in a outside bath for a month. I figured by finishing the sinking process in the tank it would give the syno some good hiding spots.

As for stocking I have always had a thing for fryier. The red anal fin ones. Yes I will get in touch with you Ryan about the brown haps, I was also thinking of getting some of the albino zebras i see you have for sale every now and then on trademe. I see there are some sulphur heads on trademe to. I will be doing some research on them. I was also thinking some Jacob males and (if I can find some) some red shoulder peacock males.

If I do get a cf 2400 as well as the cf 2700 roughly how many fish would I be able to have comfortably in this tank?

I agree with Ryan regarding the fresh cut wood.

Becafuly with some of the sharper rocks, you may want to dig the edges in the the substrate, other then that good plans.

I have sand paper and will be spending some time sanding the edges of rocks :thup:

You may have problems with the male peacocks crossbreeding with the fryeri females ( i'm assumin you mean a breeding group of fryeri). Also if you water is already at a low kh won't the wood make it even lower, sure i read somewhere that wood lowers ph

You may have problems with the male peacocks crossbreeding with the fryeri females ( i'm assumin you mean a breeding group of fryeri). Also if you water is already at a low kh won't the wood make it even lower, sure i read somewhere that wood lowers ph

If I want to breed properly I'd seperate out the fish i want to breed. If there is cross breeding in this tank it would just be live food. I'm more intersted in a display tak ATM as aposed to breeding them :)

Yes about the wood. The ph sits at seven ATM with the wood and I am currently doing a 50% water change once a week to try and combat the tanning being leaked by the wood. I hope what it do to raise the kh will combat the wood and we will find some happy medium.

I am not sure how good that freshly cut would will be.. I don't usually do wood in tanks but it is generally not recommend to use fresh stuff..

Regarding stocking you could add all sorts to that tank it depends on what you like really, you could chuck some dems/yellows in there, I would be wary of adding too many of the bigger haps because your tank isn't huge but you could get away with it. I also have some nice brown hap fry growing out if you need some of them in the future.

Hi Ryan

How long will it be till the brown haps will be available for sale and how much would you want for them? Also do you have any of those albino zebras growing out that I have seen you selling on trademe?

Thanks

Ian