IS there a registered electrician in the house?

Frankenfish

having read some of the electrical safety threads on the site, I have just got some electrical work done, including an RCD for the tank power supply, and a reset trip switch on the main board, but now the invoice has arrived am surprised to have been separately charged $20+gst for the issue of the safety certificate (total time on job was less than the 2 hour voucher purchased). Seeing as they seem to by law provide the certificate when job is done it just seems a bit steep. ( I assume I will only be given the certificate when I settle the invoice just received.Is this just usual practise? Cheers

There is in our house.

'Up until the middle of this year safety certificates were purchased by electricians by the book. If the electrician is still using up the supply of certificates you are likely to be charged. When the new rules came in the format of the forms was changed and they became available free of charge to the electrician. In theory you ought not be charged for the actual form but it is a bit of a grey area as you could be charged for the time the electrician spent completing the certificate'.