Red Claw Crayfish

prison shepherd

Hello,

I have two RC Crays, to which I believed to be one of each sex! :)

But yesterday, I noticed that one (Female) had got out the tank......Its a woman thing, think SHE went shopping! After tearing the place apart ( This is in a garge with her 6' tank,a 2' tank, 5' tank and a brine shrimp hatchery plus a 700 gal indoor Koi Tank! ) I found HER.....very dirty and DRIED up! :o

I put HER back into HER tank and SHE came around. Then the Male in the tank was getting it on with HER, They were going mad at it..........But then :o .......whats this, SHE has a faint RED CLAW........Is SHE now a HE? :evil:

I have had HER/HE upside down and check out the breeding parts...This is very hard to do.......and thought i had got it right?

Can anyone help me? :hail: If SHE/HE has got a Slight red claw could SHE/HE be a young male? (She/He/It is smaller than the Male)

Any Help would be good!

Prison Shepherd

Hi Prison Shepherd

Well I am afraid that the RC cray is not a species the is kept and bred in New Zealand.

I have experence in the local species of fresh and saltwater crays but I don't know if that will help.

I was under the impresion that only the male RC cray's show red and you may be correct that the one in question was a young male. I wonder if the jumping from the tank was in response to being beaten up on by the dominant male, so he was making a dash to new territory.

With our local crays the easiest method of sexing is to look at the pleopod's under the tail, if they are large and overlap it is a female, if they are smaler and don't overlap it is a male.

Sorry I can't help any further but goodluck and keep us posted.

I hope to see a report on your breeding them.

Cheers :D