High water Tanganyika fish

camtang

I would give a lot of my left things for some of them!

Thats why we need cyprichromis in this country!!

The big giraffe is not afraid of anything... When I come close to the tank they just jump on and shake their tail like a dog... Bite my figer when I put figer in the tank before feeding...

Giraffes are great fish! I love the way they dart from one end to another and "wag" like you say. One of my favorite Malawis.

I will be very interested to hear how the lighting goes it is not something I have considered.

I have now moved my lights towards the middle as well. Will update as it progresses. I am planning on LED next year so they should be brighter again.

Yeah it is a shame that they died out, have heard rumours of them still being around but who knows where... I saw a pair quite a few years ago but the male killed the female and then the male eventually died.

I like giraffes too :) They have always been a big fav of mine, used to love the ones that were pushing 25cm at butterfly creek, along with the giant kadangos..

I always thought putting less light on the tank would bring the fish out more because the fish would feel more confident, especially with a low light fish like fronts.

I always thought putting less light on the tank would bring the fish out more because the fish would feel more confident, especially with a low light fish like fronts

I had the same thought, hence why I had the dimmer tubes in. Since moving the lights towards the middle from the front, the fronts are much more active and are not clustering like they were. Top region of tank is still empty, but much more activity within the tank.

Yeah it is a shame that they died out, have heard rumours of them still being around but who knows where... I saw a pair quite a few years ago but the male killed the female and then the male eventually died.

So you are saying that these used to be in the country, but are unknown if still are in private hands now???

If that is the case does that mean they are able to be brought in? (Not trying to start an import argument). Just putting back the bits of the shattered dreams I had a while ago. These and T Ikola are on the top of the I want list.

No arguement needed, they were imported under the old scheme many years ago, when MAF did a revamp of the list (went from allowed genuses to speciffic fish) they asked shops/importers/fish keepers to provide evidence of fish that were in the country. Evidence could include photos, import/wholesale lists etc, it appears that no evidence was submitted for these fish so they were not added. If someone was to have an old import list or wholesale list lying around then they could be added. There are other fish that are unfortunately in the same boat and now no longer allowed to be imported.

don't we have ikola in the country already? sure I saw a colony on TM for sale recently and I'm sure one of the members on here has some?

lol maybe I lost track here but I thought we were talking about Cyprichromis.. Yes Ikola should be relatively easy to get, I wouldn't recommend them though, I went through quite a few (and quite a few $$) and had no luck with them another mate I know brought 40 and still had no luck, they are pretty agro..

Ikola's are very very agro. They do have some of the best fights though:P

camtang i found with 1 Ikola tank i have they are super active and take over the whole tank(even though they are with large haps like 20cm+ giraffes etc) the other tank they were very skittish so took all the rocks out bar a couple of clay pots and now they are active as.. just a thought... maybe moliro/fronts are not so brave, i can't comment on these two as i've never had them?

Sorry for the confussion, Ikolas are on my list that Iwant not on the oh my god we NEED them in the counrty list haha.There is something about the yellow flash that does it for me. I know they are super agro, but I guess that is a bi-product of such a cool look.

I would agree that Fronts are not overly brave, they spend a lot of time hanging around the back and shooting off in the sight of anything different. Moliro are pretty active and out there.

• 3 weeks later...