High water Tanganyika fish

camtang

Possibly, but the frontosa are also the same. I have tryed several different ways of scaping the tank, none have really done anything different. I expect a certain degree of "rock hugging" but it is such a waste having that large amount of water empty.

It is almost making me consider changing from Africans back to Americans.

I had the same thing with my trophs when they were small (3-5cm) they all seemed to just hang around the rocks now they are larger 6-8cm they are way more active all levels of the water column, I think mine have become more active as the males have matured.

I had a feeling I would get that answer. I really do not want to back to Malawis with this set up. A hap and peacock tank is on the cards, but not in this set up.

Another option I have would be change the tank they are in, I have one that is around 100mm lower, 100mm wider but a foot shorter. It also has a lighter background, which I think will aid the fronts colour. If I changed they would not be on "display" but I would suspect it would mean the entire tank is used, so at least it would not be wasted water.

I think some thing is freaking them out. I know my fish stay low our try to hide when something different happens like my kids run part the tank and even if a stranger starts checking out my tank. They certainly do it when I approach the tank holding a net so it may be just you haha. Seriously though they do do that when frightened, can you rig up some way of covering the tank front, maybe with a blanket our a card board screen for a day or two and have a peep hole so you can see what they are doing, I think you'll find they be behaving how you want them to if they become comfortable in their environment. If that's the case I'm sure it'll just be time until the style in and use all the height of the tank.

Mine do the dash anytime people approach, I am use to that. I will try find a couple blankets and give that a go. However my house is very quite during the week, no kids at home, just me studying during the day and night sitting on the couch not really moving much at all. So I find it hard to believe that it would be external influences causing them to stay low. But I will give it a go, just so I can rule it out.

I also wonder if there is too many fish in the tank and to many hiding holes/rock work etc and not enough open water, causing the fronts to get the hebe gebes and making them stay low and at the back. This of course is a difficult one to counter with the T's lele's calvus and the such.

it's not numbers i don't think. i have around 45 fish in my tank and they're all over the place. You don't have too much light do you? I just think there is something they don't like that makes them do that but i can't work out what it is. I have no doubt that it will change over time.

it's not numbers i don't think. i have around 45 fish in my tank and they're all over the place. You don't have too much light do you? I just think there is something they don't like that makes them do that but i can't work out what it is. I have no doubt that it will change over time.

I would probably have to agree with smidey here, I have had tanks like this too, the fish just seem to be really skittish in there for no apparent reason.. It can be lighting or position of tank or even tank mates. I have found fronts quite skittish maybe everything else is skittish because they are?

I notice your fronts are quite dark have you always used a dark background? maybe try pulling a few rocks out maybe a pile at each end with the middle all open, if there is less in the way of wood and rocks in the tank then maybe they will come out of hiding and use the whole tank

You don't have too much light do you?

Light is dim, I prefer that look over the super intense bright look.

I have found fronts quite skittish maybe everything else is skittish because they are?

The fronts are defiantly skittish, I can live with that. The rest of the fish are not skittish unless they get spooked, they just do not use the top/middle region of the tank, they are very very active as they should be. Lots of darting in and out, territorial scraping, active eating and the such.

Yeh the background came with that way when I got the tank. I stocked up with rocks and wood so the smaller fish could have some refuge from large mouthed fronts. I also figured that the cuckoos would appreciate the rock work for there darting in and out. I read somewhere before that fish like cuckoos will actively come out more if there is more refuge for them.

The last lay out was relatively open, at least I thought that it was for an African tank. Once I try Smideys idea, I will have a look around for some rocks that will fit the bill.

I am trying the higher light method today, and so far so good. Cuckoos are going much higher, the fronts are poping out a bit more and the leleupi darting about more. I also did a large water change, so this may have helped as they are generaly more active for me after a big water change. I will move my lights from at the front to the middle later in the day and see if this makes a difference as well.

I found my frontosas like to hide under the rock too. It makes me want to remove all the rocks in my tank.... They always stay close to the bottom. I have huge top water space wasted!

I found Malawis are much more active than fontosa, they swim every where in the tank. The big giraffe is not afraid of anything... When I come close to the tank they just jump on and shake their tail like a dog... Bite my figer when I put figer in the tank before feeding...

I may try change tank layout and see what happens..