Is there more to kh?

Scarletmonuka

I'd say the pH staying stable would be a minor added bonus of having a higher KH, having the KH closer to what your fish naturally experience would be more beneficial than the more stable pH [provided it wasn't crashing extremely low]. KH has far more effect on the fish and how they osmoregulate than pH. This a long but fairly good read on the subject, once you get your head around it!

http://www.tbas1.com/Exchange/The%20New ... d%2011.pdf

I'd say the pH staying stable would be a minor added bonus of having a higher KH, having the KH closer to what your fish naturally experience would be more beneficial than the more stable pH [provided it wasn't crashing extremely low]. KH has far more effect on the fish and how they osmoregulate than pH. This a long but fairly good read on the subject, once you get your head around it!

http://www.tbas1.com/Exchange/The%20New ... d%2011.pdf

Wow that is a mouthful of a article. I think I'll have a go at reading it when I'm not starting work at 4 am. Thanks

And nudge our tap water is low kh but the water in the tank seems to stay round 7

My tap wter was a low kh to but the ph stayed pretty stable at 7-7.2 I have recently moved and we are on tank water so I am adding baking soda and Epsom salt to boost my kh which now sits on kh12 and ph 8, easy enough to do if you are worried and want to bring your kh up. IMO if its stable out of the tap then don't mess with it

Osmoregulaton is a major, it allows the up take of minerals and dispelling of toxins, working similar on a biological scale to how a ro unit works, kh allows the gravity of water to flow correctly through the fish as to there biological settings. Kh, and Gh while broad spectrum's can be tolerated are essential.

T1623E04.gif