setting up new tank

amber

ive just brought this tank its aprox 400lts measurements are 130cmL x 65H x 50w im wanting to set it up as a African tank so far ive brought white silica sand,air hose,check valves,some coral rocks & ornaments but im stuck on the filter I have a limited bidget so im tossing up between 2 aquaone 1200s for combined 2400lph for $290.70 or a aquaone nautilus cf2700 2700lph $349.90 plus shipping also stuck on the heaters weather to get 2 aquaone 300watt heaters so can put 1 at each end of just go for a 500watt for centre of tank. any info/help will be appreciated thanks. ps I tried to put a photo of tank up but not sure how to.

i've had a great one with aqua one canisters so good choice. I run two cf's on my 400L tank but it's 2.0m long, with a 1.3m tank i'd go with a single filter as i think you'll have a challenge getting the spraybar etc sorted if you have two of them. Also it's far better to get a better quality heater in the long run. You can use one heater as long as there is enough circulation for it to heat the water evenly. Go for a 300w jager, it will be plenty to heat your tank.

I would go with the 1 big filter and a 300W jager too, although I have found nothing wrong with aqua one heaters for the price they are quite good, they don't tend to jam on and cook tanks of fish like other cheap heaters out there.

Good luck with your set up, what is your planned stocking list?

I didn't think a single aquaone 1200 would be enough for the tank hence why was going to have 2 but I didn't think about the spray bars either. guess its back to the thinking board for a bit haha. yip ive only ever had the aquaone thermosafe heaters but cant seem to find anymore. as for stocking list im not sure any ideas how many fish I could fit in there? im thinking electric blues,electric yellows for sure. ive had convicts and kribenis in the past and quite like them.also had demasoni and would love them again. also like the look of giraffes and jacks and frontosa but they all get really big so don't know yet.

that tank isn't big enough for any africans larger than a zebra really (10-12cm max), it's big on litres but small on foot print so only much good for fish like angels that prefer a tall tank. Aggressive fish like africans need floor area to establish their territories, if you don't have that then it's likely to be an unsettled environment for all the fish as they won't be able to claim much space for themselves.

Use the CF2700 and it'll be sweet.

I didn't think a single aquaone 1200 would be enough for the tank hence why was going to have 2 but I didn't think about the spray bars either. guess its back to the thinking board for a bit haha. yip ive only ever had the aquaone thermosafe heaters but cant seem to find anymore. as for stocking list im not sure any ideas how many fish I could fit in there? im thinking electric blues,electric yellows for sure. ive had convicts and kribenis in the past and quite like them.also had demasoni and would love them again. also like the look of giraffes and jacks and frontosa but they all get really big so don't know yet.

You can do electric blues, electric yellows and dems, the giraffes will outgrow the tank eventually, the fronts will def get too big and the jacks (assuming jack Dempsey), convicts and kribs all prefer different water conditions to Africans so wont really get along. I have kept clown loaches with Africans with no issues but it isn't really recommended due to differing water conditions they prefer.