African Cichlids Set up- Species req?

samuel90

So I am upgrading my fish tank to a 185L in order to keep african cichlids because, lets face it, they are some pretty cool fish.

With the current filter and tank size and taking into account to just overstock to minimise aggression, www.aqadvisor.com thinks 20-24 fish would be good for filtration (CF1200) and tank size.

I already have 7 electric yellows ranging from 4-8cm.

I really like the look of Ice Blue's and Demasonis. But have heard demasonis are grumpy little buggers and might get too aggressive.

What do you all suggest?

I want to have 3 species that vary in color!

:)

I would probably do a few male electric blues or peacocks, I wouldn't attempt to do 3 species with females in a tank that size.. Although the trouble with the male peacocks etc is getting the tank to balance because they can be quite agro to each other but it can be done.

12 demasoni would be fine.

I would probably do a few male electric blues or peacocks, I wouldn't attempt to do 3 species with females in a tank that size.. Although the trouble with the male peacocks etc is getting the tank to balance because they can be quite agro to each other but it can be done.

12 demasoni would be fine.

I have never seen electric blues available! Do you know where I can get any??? Are the females a different color??

I would look into: Kadangos, Powder Blues, Bumblebees, or Ice Blues.

Also electric blues in auckland: http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/fish/tropical-fish/auction-652488643.htm

Probably pushing it with kadangos, bumblebees or ice blues in a 185L tank, you may get away with it but I have seen some pretty big kadangos around and ice blues are down right nasty..

I guess YMMV. I've had all of those for extended periods of time in a 185L and the only aggression I ever had with african cichlids was spawning red jewels or demasoni's.

I was thinking more of ethical reasons - haps are big open water fish and jamming them in to a small tank wouldn't be something I would do or recommend, but they would be fine for a while until they get too big.

Demasoni I have found to only be really aggressive to their own kind and normal aggression to other kinds when they enter in to the spawning areas when breeding. The aggression to their own kind is minimised by having lots of demasoni to spread it around, I have been keeping them for many years in many different types of setups.

I guess like anything it depends on what luck you have had with fish, some people have fish that thrive in the most unlikely situations or fish that behave differently to what they should. And every tank dynamic is different which makes it interesting.