Clown Loaches

leetric0

Hey guys. Anyone have any experience with clown loaches? I have had mine for over a year now so im assuming there maybe 2 years old. The 2 leaders i guess seem to be eating a lot. To the point im a little worried since there so bloated with food and the other fish in the tank seem to miss out and they seem to nibble on my other fish lol. Is that normal?

Hey guys. Anyone have any experience with clown loaches? I have had mine for over a year now so im assuming there maybe 2 years old. The 2 leaders i guess seem to be eating a lot. To the point im a little worried since there so bloated with food and the other fish in the tank seem to miss out and they seem to nibble on my other fish lol. Is that normal?

Clown loaches are normally fat fish. Sounds like yours are normal.

Clown loaches are normally not kept well, which is why they are normally fat. Just remember you're talking about a foot long fish that inhabits fast-flowing rivers. Anything less than 6' length with good circulation is likely to lead to obesity, even without over-feeding.

On the other hand, being a bit chubby is certainly better than being too skinny!! A little information about your set up would be helpful.

Ill take a pic of them before and after feeding sometime soon. The tank did have a nice flow before my filter broke after i moved which was 1500lph i think (it leaks out of the sides for some reason) and i now have to use the standard filter with the tank (aqua one 980t). They seem happy enough but i know that they will need a new tank soon. I wasnt really expecting them to grow this quickly out of this tank haha.

The tanks just a standard 245l aqua 980t with some driftwood 6 angelfish ( the missus likes them) and a few bn.

920Ts are not great tanks as they are tall instead of long, whereas horizontal space is much more important to fish than vertical (fish swim and make their territorials horizontally, not vertically, so tall tanks give people the impression that they "fit" more fish than they actually do).

Regarding the loaches, it sounds normal to me. My Yoyos always gorge themselves to the point I think they might pop at feeding time, especially the dominant ones. As long as everyone is getting some food it should be okay. How many loaches do you have? Large numbers help to decrease aggression. Also when you say "nibbling on your other fish", please elaborate? Are they nipping your angels fins?

If they're not doing any damage and the angels don't seen concerned, I'd just keep an eye out - I have heard of and seen some loaches (not sure on clowns though?) nibbling at parasites on other fish but wouldn't think its too common to be honest.

Otherwise, it sounds like pretty normal behaviour from this end of things

The next tank i get will be custom made hopefully and much longer than tall. I didnt really think about it when i bought the tank since i got it at a good price. Now i have a hard time trying to rescape it since i cant properly reach the bottom haha.

If they're not doing any damage and the angels don't seen concerned, I'd just keep an eye out - I have heard of and seen some loaches (not sure on clowns though?) nibbling at parasites on other fish but wouldn't think its too common to be honest.

Otherwise, it sounds like pretty normal behaviour from this end of things

It sort of sounds like this but all the angels are in healthy condition (except one which is wonky lol). There not biting there fins sort of like exploring them and feeling there sides with there mouths if that makes sense.