Eheim 2213 has just got noisy???

rnbo

could be air getting in, have you used any lube on the rubber seal since you have had it? if not that could be the problem, any lfs should be able to order you a new seal in.

otherwise make sure it is clean and the water can run through no probs. But the seal would be my guess.

plecs

The filter may need cleaning and you should check the impellor housing. Gently open, clean with bottle brush and check the shaft is not damaged or broken. Be careful that it goes back in correctly - the shaft is ceramic and can be broken easily. I personally don't think it has anything to do with the seal (O ring). You would have water coming out if it was not sealed and the later models are self sealing and don't need any lubricant.

Where the shaft is housed at either end, is a small rubber cup,

if this is perished and fails, it allows the impellor to move in the chamber,

Thereby creating a rattle.

I'm not sure if the shaft is ceramic, which break very easily and are not the cheapest to replace. But you should, if necessary find a replacement in your LFS.

They use to be unbreakable stainless steel, makes ya wonder why they changed, or was it just another way to grind more money from the hobbiest.

Sand or similar between the housing and the impellor drive can also create noises.

Alan 104

i disagree, could well be the o ring, which do still need lubricant (they come with it and it says so in the book).

could also be the impellar though, it should be cleaned regulaly. trial and error and you will get there.

let us know how it goes

plecs

I use a couple of the 2213's last time i had a noisy one it was wear on the impellor shaft, they are ceramic. I got one from Hollywood. It was $24 i think for a new impellor, shaft and the 2 rubbers that contain it. When you get the new one make sure there are no cracks on the magnetic part of the impellor as 1 new 1 i bought had a crack in it (if it does it will fly to bits).

what sort of noise is it, as air getting into the filter makes a horrable noise. This can happen by a fish knocking the intake enough for it to suck up some air. Eheim now make a water safe lubricant that is suposed to be very good (the wd40 for fish tanks is how they refered to it) havn't tried it personally though

Thanks everyone for your replies. You've been very helpful. :D

Gave it a good look yesterday...o-ring fine, parts alittle dirty but again look ok but... the spraybar had several blocked outlets...gave that a brush and everything quiet again. :) So I guess it must have been the extra pressure on the system from the blockages that was causing the noise. :roll:

Cheers and have agood weekend.