Earthquake Preparedness for Aquariums.

Likoma

I see today on stuff that GNS is saying there is a high chance of another large shock. So we thought it a good time to share what we have done to try and make sure our fish and tanks are as safe and secure as possible.

First up we have checked the bracing of the tanks and the units and added a bit more cross bracing to a couple.( Large tall tanks have been attached to stands with ratchets. The ratchets run over the bracing panels.) We have also checked the flooring structures under the tanks.

Secondly, we inspected the hard scape in all the tanks to make sure all the large rock work is stable, where we think there is a chance it could move, we have adjusted to make it more secure. If any fall in a quake we don’t want them to smash a panel of glass!

Thirdly we have checked all of the lids and lowered the water level a bit – we found the movement in the quake was enough to push the glass lids off, fortunately none broke but we would prefer they didn’t come off in the first place!

Fourth, we have put RCDs on all electrical points – this is to make sure we don’t blow anything up.

Fifth, we have moved any heavy objects from above tanks (yes we should have done this a while ago!) and just stored light stuff.

Finally I have bought a paint-mixing attachment for a drill. I have ensured that the drill batteries are charged. In th event of power going off this is an easy way to ensure oxygenation.

If you have any other ideas that might help people prepare better for anther quake – please feel free to share!