Lionhead habits

tacklepro

Good morning fisho's - wondering whether someone 'learned' may be able to shed some light on something for me......

I recently got a beautiful Lionhead which is living peacefully (most of the time anyway) with my Kribs. On the weekend, I added a couple of rocks to the tank to form another cavey type hideaway for whoever claimed it. After about an hour, the Lionhead started picking up pebbles from around the tank floor in his (or her - not sure) mouth and swimming over to the new rocks where he would spit them out depositing them on top of the flat rock surface on top.

Sort of related..... I watched the cichlid film clips per the post on here the other day (thanks for that - awesome to watch) which were really cool. On these, they show cone/pyramid style mounds of sand moved around by certain fish in Lk Malawi as part of the breeding process to provide a platform over which the male fish perform to attract females. I wondered whether my little fella was trying to build himself a 'stage' to show off his flashiest dance moves or something??

I havent had time to ask uncle Google about this but will when I get a chance - just wondered what you guys/girls think??

cheers

Wayne (fairly new to this hobby by the way)

That sounds like fairly normal cichlid behaviour to me.

Has it taken control of the area it was digging from or dropping the stones?

I have found my cichlids will often rescape my tank after I have rearanged it to make pits and caves big enough for them to tuck them selves into

Yep - some of the stones were definitely being picked up from his home and taken across to the new rock. I think when I rearranged things, I probably pushed a few into his area, etc so maybe he is just tidying up after me!! Seemed to then pick others up from arbitrary parts of the tank though as well mind you, he does think he owns the whole place! lol