FX5 OUTPUT UNIT

Gill

I recently have had problems due to two Clown Loaches taking a swim up the output unit during the purging process , they got stuck ... long sad story ,lost lots of fish. I have been emailing Hagen, and suggested they take a look at the design , they said I should take the filter back to where it was purchased and ask for a refund if the filter is not doing what it is designed too. Nothing wrong with the filter when it is working to full capacity but when fish can get into the output unit. I have since added the strainer attachment which is also on the intake end , this will prevent any more fish for sneaking up, an easy solution . Unfortunately Hagen didn't feel the need to offer any suggestions ... It may be a good filter but not happy with their customer service. They were more interested in me providing with proof of purchase and nothing else . Just thought I would post this to give a heads up to what has happened and alert other users to a problem which can be fixed with a slight modification, I would hate others to have the same thing occur especially with such adventurous fish such as Clown Loaches..

Gill

For the first time ever the other week I noticed one of my GBA sitting inside the outlet when the filter was off. However when it was turned on the fish was fired back in to the tank. I am still really surprised your clown loaches went up that high in the tank to investigate the 'cave'. Did you have the split outlet on - the one that allows the water flow in two directions?

As far as Hagen goes maybe it is a lost in translation thing and they didn't really understand your comment or they just used a standard answer. However either way I would have expected them to check and a better response.

The output unit had a split as per supplied with the filter. Two Clown loaches got up there ,one was dead and bent at right angles and the other died soon after being discovered. The fish were 5 to 6 cm .We were very surprised to find them up there , I noticed things weren't looking normal in the tank so checked for dead fish , completed water changes but my Clowns kept dying .... checked the filter and hey presto found the cause .... All very sad. I have started rebuilding my collection have 4 now.

The strainer attachment is doing its job, it doesn't interfere with flow etc... so fingers crossed .From the replies I think it's Hagen in Canada replying to my emails. It's been an interesting few weeks

Gill

Some loaches are renown for doing this I had a skunk loache that would swim inside the outlet of my 102 Everytime I came near the tank which was annoying as I was trying to rehome him and could never find him. Also Khuli loaches they seem to find there way into canisters . Every time I cleaned my old cf 1200 I found two or more swimming happily in the bottom of it , nearly tipped them down the sink a few times.