Koura - breeding and farming

Kurtcollinsnz

Hey guys I've been browsing the net looking for info on the rules on breeding koura in ponds and you guys keep coming up in my google search. So I decided to join up. Always been a dream of mine to breed our local crawley ( koura). And one day sell them. Just after some info on getting permit to do this in the Southisland.

My father is a digger driver and I have fond memories of catching them as a kid whilst dad was cleaning out ditches. Back then we would find huge numbers of them and have seen some getting as big as 300mm long but these days they r harder to find that big manly from all the dairy fàrming in the area and all the urea they put on there paddocks. But I thought if I was to get dad to build some ponds for me up in the bush away from all that I would have much better luck. Any info to help me with my dream would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome along.

There have been attempts (at least one that I can think of and I think I remember seeing mention of others) to farm koura. you will probably find that they are too slow for do on a commercial scale, I think that was the reason why others have failed. There is a good article around - I think that it was in New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research.

Yes there is a farm not far from where I live in and I'm planing on going for a visit when I return to the country. I've email doc and waiting for a reply about permits. Been doing a lot if research on feeding technics to help them grow faster. Over in Western Australia were I work I've been feeding a dam full of tabbies one cup of lupins once a week for bout 1 year. In just 6 months I got a yabbie from 2 inches to almost 11 so I'm hoping there will be similar ways for the koura. And tips to help me on my way would be great. And hopefully all goes well and one day there will be plenty of koura for everyone

• 1 month later...