Varying readings of Nitrate and fish dying

sandaz

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main problem is all the salt you and the other person have put in the tank. Even with all the water changes you have done the salt is still in the gravel. You are changing the water but the gravel is saturated with salt. Shut her down and clean out the gravel. the gravel is an filter too. Just my dollars worth. :gpo2: The nipping of the fins is probbly cause by the stress the fish are in. The fish that are dieing are both scail less or very stressed out by all the salt over time.

Not any more. I turned thos off a couple of weeks ago. Also the tank has a lid so it wouldn't have been able to just go into tank

maybe put some carbon it to soak up any spray residue?

Incidentally I use auto fly sprayers in summer, have done for three years and haven't lost fish because of it..I know the products warns not to use around aquaria but my tanks are covered and I use carbon in summer and keep up the water changes. I just make sure the auto can isn't in the immediate vicinity of any of my tanks. Had 4 tanks in different rooms at one stage.

My family are not allowed to use the regular fly cans , if they pick one up they get a good growling from me hah. Those are strictly for the garsage and not the house.

I've been wondering whether maybe my Prime is not working properly. Checked tonight and there is no expiry date on it. How long does the stuff last as I got handed it when I bought the tank.?

prime shoudl last ages. I use it. the good thing about prime is you can smell it, if it still has that sulphury smell, it shoudl be good to go.

according to seachem:

Prime is formulated to have a practical unlimited shelf life (i.e. practical within expected usage time frames, for example it's not likely someone would try to use a 20 year old bottle of Prime). http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/s ... .php?t=307

the more basic water conditioners that contain sodium thiosulfate have a shorter life once opened... i wouldn't use an opened bottle thats older than a year.

How you getting on now? are you still adding salt.. that seems like a huge amount you were adding. You shouldn't need to add salt unless you've got a problem in the tank .. salt can help as a tonic for sick or injured fish or when cycling a tank (helps with nitrite poisoning) .. When I've used salt I usually add 1/2 teaspoon for every 16L , (which is about 10 % of my tank) not a tablespoon! That way my sensitive fish aren't overexposed to it. In a guppy only tank I add double that.

There are treatments involving salt for specific problems like ich, which use much higher concentrations for short periods of time.

I'm not sure how old the Excel is but is still has that smell so should be ok.

I've still got a fish dying every day. Just about all my harlequin tetra gone now. They seem to have a slime coating on them when I remove them. Minnows all gone now too. Some of the larger fish have had hole in the head (t-bars and now dwarf gourami) but it seems to heal itself. The t-bars have healed up completely and the gourami's hole looks smaller this morning too. They have never had any other symptoms as they still eating, bossy and moving around. The hole never got red or black, staying whitish until healed.

Have one more dosage of Prazi and then I'm going to move onto Furan-2 with a 60% water change inbetween.

No not adding any more salt for a while, and the death of rummy noses seems to have stopped since then. Are tempted to add salt in conjuction with treatments but have decided to just do one thing at a time.

Just another quick update.

Lost another dwarf coach overnight and another not eating and sitting still on the bottom of the tank. Not looking promising. A couple of fish have started with fin rot by the looks of it. Also noticed one of crummy noses significantly darker than the others and have a white growth on his eye lid(if fish has something like this).

Gave last dose of prazi today, can't say I've noticed any fish improve during the weekof treatment. So probably not flukes or worms.

Quick question: should I put carbon for day before starting with Furan-2? Or will a large water change do it?