Too many fish: sell or re-home?

Zuri_08

Hello

I was just wondering; when the fish in your little tank start to multiply, do people manage to successfully sell or re-home these extra fish?

I have a little tank and the two platties happen to be one male and one female and now I have lots of baby platties. They are too small to give away just yet, but I have been trying to sell a flying-fox algae eater on Trademe, no buyers yet, and the thought occurred to me; what if I cannot re-home these fish? I do not want to get another tank.

Have others had any success with selling and re-homing their fish extras? Preferably I would like to make a little money (not just give them away) so I have some money to keep spending on this hobby...

any suggestions? Comments?

My excess little platys go on a very long holiday in the freezer. :o

I let them grow out a little bit first and if they are good looking they go to the main tank. If they are not so flash, or male, they go to the freezer.

The platy's multiply way too easisly for my liking. Sounds harsh but if I didn't do this I would litterally have hudreds of the little beggers and no room for any other fish.

Be strong.

Freezing is quite a painful form of euthing :o

I'm sure if you listed them on trademe at a $1 reserve/ listed them here for free/ surrended them to your LFS they'd be better off. Not much money in baby livebeares sadly.

Lately I've started putting them just in the fridge first. They seem to go 'to sleep' quite quickly. I leave them there for a few hours before going to the feezer. I'm not quite that mean. :wink:

To be honest it would be quite a bit of effort required to advertise them.. I would never want any money for them. I would give them away if I thought it would be easy, but when new babies arrive every couple of weeks it gets a bit overwhelming. I have got rid of all the males now so I think things will change a bit now. Although, one of the older females is looking awfully fat at the moment. :facepalm:

Thanks for your comments - I really don't think I could kill any fish though!

I guess I will just have to see what happens, giving it a month maybe... I only want a few dollars for the fish (except for the flying-fox, I'm quite proud of him) so Trademe might work out, otherwise I'll give them away to whoever can pick them up. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again peoples

I was wondering, for those who live in Hamilton, if anyone would be interested in some fish swapping?

I have a female and young male platty, silver/blue colour, I wouldn't mind swapping for a red female platty?

I quite like observing the baby platties in my tank (and I'm not sure on the correct spelling of "platties"). The little platties I have at the moment will soon need to be re-homed, perhaps for 2 dollars each? They are really pretty.

I'm also curious of what platties would look like if the silver/blue was crossed with a red platty...