Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Feeding Octupus

Featured Replies

Hi to all, I have successfully mated two octupus in a aquarium and i'm trying to feed the babies. They are about 7 days old and about 6mm in length. In the wild the babies would eat copepods derived from plankton. So far I have collected plankton and there has been no real success and a high mortality. Wondering if anyone out there has also tried rearing baby octopuses, and if so any suggestions to their feed. They are a local species of octopus found in the Hauraki gulf (spp unsure).

That's pretty awesome. I wouldn't have clue as to what to feed them, maybe mushed up crab? I know that they love crab.

I am very interested in having an octopus. If you would like a good home for one of the babies, let me know. I have done quite a bit of research on keeping octopi, as I think they are just amazing creatures. I would need a bit of help and advise on how to keep them though from someone who has done it.

I believe that they generally only live for about 2 years...is that true???

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Octopuses generally are fully grown in about 6 months, and can live for probably no longer than two years. Once a male mates it dies, and once a females is pregant it lays its eggs then stops feeding and dies after hatching the young. Octopuses are cephlapods and they are the fastest growning invertebrate, with the sqiud been the quickest. A good website if interesting in keeping octopuses is www.tonmo.com. If you are interested in keeping a octupus a might be about to help you out but I am fantically busy at the moment keeeping mine alive. Give me a email if you want to discuss personally.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.