Red headed/Rotkeil Severum

critter_crazy

Are these around? I'm guessing if they are then not very common as I never see any in the LFS

I'm seriously considering setting up another tank for my severums and geos (and maybe a gold nugget plec which I've been eyeing up for some time) :facepalm: Uh oh!

If I do then it'll have to be on the cheap, probably sand, nice peice of wood, some river rocks and maybe a sturdy plant or two? would this set up type suit the severums? I have a seriously bad case of MTS - still, if I'm gonna have an addiction it may as well be fish :happy2:

Sounds like a good set up, just remember they're big fish and I wouldn't want to be keeping a pair of sevs and a group of geos in anything much under 4-500L.

RE the Rotkeils, they are around, but there is also a lot of hybrid sub-standard crap out there. Partly my fault for [years ago] selling my female Rotkeil to a certain breeder years ago thinking he would try find a mate for it, and instead he got impatient and crossed it with a gold then sold loads of the fry on trademe claiming some unproven nonsense about the gold gene being recessive so the fish will look just like this pic of an amazing looking male Rotkeil he found on the internet. From what I saw of them the fish turned out to be about half way between a rotkeil and a regular muddy looking green, the hard part is at a small size its very difficult to tell them apart. Great fish if you can find them, I'd certainly like to keep them again...

DSC00619Medium.jpg

Plants + Severums don't normally mix but I was thinking of trying something like Java Fern on driftwood?

Stunning fish! It's a shame NZ has such a small gene pool that it can take 1 breeder doing something like that to near wipe out a fishes availability like that :o

Unfortunatley I think my Surinamensis are stunted from before I got them as having had them a year they've grown maybe 2cm? I don't hold out much hope for them getting any larger than 10cm :facepalm: