pipe glue

Drifty

it's a special pvc glue (or rather a solvent) forget the name of the stuff but it basically "melt's" the plastic allowing it to bond together.

get it at any plumbing store. use it in well ventilated area or it'll give you a headache! make sure you wipe off any excess glue, leave 24 hours to dry then flush out with heaps of water.

• 1 month later...

Hi Drifty most pipe solvents are made from the same basic ingrediants such as betta from micos marly and marly gold from pumbing world just dont use any of the marly gutter and sporting solvent (comes in a white and yellow tube) as it has a but in mould inhibiter. also stay away from the hot glues named as they heat the pipe in the chemical bonding to get a better seal and have more chemicals in them.

Leave the betta or marly glue for at least 2 hours 24 would be better, they use MEK to chemicaly bond the pvc and this needs to evaporate fully before it goes anywhere near your tank. Also wash the pipes in fresh water before putting into your tank

Hope this helps.

also stay away from the hot glues named as they heat the pipe in the chemical bonding to get a better seal and have more chemicals in them

how do you justify this? i've used hot glue with some of my closed loop - it is essentially a more difficult solvent to use (more fiddly and time consuming because pipes need priming first) but the strength is extremely strong. the glue dries solid (assuming you've scrapped off any excess glue) - i have heard or had no problems with it.

the one thing i would say be aware of is there are pressure and non-pressure rated solvents. always make sure you use the right solvent for the right application - if unsure use pressure rated.

I am using a mixture of both. I wait between 10-20 seconds before running live tank water though em. I wouldn't advise that it what you should do, but it is what I do do.

I use Natural Sea Water anyway so whats a bit of solvent going to do? smells the same as desiel anyway ;)

Pie

I have no idea what the extra chemicals in hot glue are and what effect they may have on the tank so i would rather not tempt fate with something that may or maynot destroy life. Pies MEK is a very nasty chemical and although it does evaporate very quickly i would be careful how quickly you put it in your tank. i now that most of the glue will float to the surface and can be skimmed of by hand but how do you now that some of the glue has not disolved into the water.

By the way i have delt with a lot of pipe glueing and having delt with pressure pipe upto 300mm i think i know a thing or two about pvc nearly eight years as a filtration engineer sould count for experiance.

This is not a dig at you pies so dont take it that way i am just justifieing like you have asked. :D

Dave

This is not a dig at you pies so dont take it that way i am just justifieing like you have asked.

No dig taken :) Like I said I wouldn't reccomend my actions, but it hasn't effected my one iota. If I was offering advice I would point them to your advice.

Piemania