CO2 tank refill

Xander393

I can't help you with the refill but I can tell you a bit about the rest.

Firstly, forget BPS as 1. It's not a standard measurement due to everyone's bubble counters being (slightly, if not completely) different. And 2. The amount of CO2 you need isn't proportional to the volume of your aquarium. A 200L high tech tank will need a LOT more CO2 than a 200L low tech tank. What you need is a drop checker (and preferably a fishless aquarium) so you can slowly increase your CO2 and get the timing right. I like to start my CO2 about an hour before my lights come on and then turn it off half an hour before the lights go off. This stops the fish getting gassed overnight but also gives the plants a good head start when the lights come on.

And that answers the third question, an air stone shouldn't be needed at night but I find my fish need at least a little bit of surface movement to prevent them gasping.

Hope that helps :)

The place I go to get my tanks refilled is as follows:

http://www.novafire.co.nz/

They work odd hours as it's a factory, not a shop.

Cash only.

To fill up a 6.8kg and a 2kg it cost $30.00

Ring ahead to check that they aren't going to be offsite on a job.

Be aware that there are two parts to Westmoreland that are divided by an island, you want the side where the Mitre 10 is.

They also test cylinders.

Here in Chch I was quoted $40 from one place(asco) and $50 from another place (tank test), that was to fill one 3kg bottle. Seems a heck of a lot cheaper to fill up north ... unless anyone from chch can suggest somewhere better ?

Prices do vary drastically. It seems to be the larger more obvious companies which are typically exorbinant, I was quoted for instance over $70 to refill my 6.8kg alone.

The company in the URL above suggests they provide services to multiple ports, one of those being Lyttelton. It wouldn't hurt to send them an email and ask A) Do they have a local factory/shop in Christchurch or B) Can they possibly refer you to a company in Christchurch whom they maybe use for the services they then on forward to the port.

No harm in asking.