Synodontis decorus

agoh

Thanks catbrat, and your website proved most useful in identifying another syno I own! I recently purchased what I can now call a 'Network Catfish' that was mislabeled as a featherfin for $33 at the LFS...no wonder why my featherfin wasn't spotted, I thought I had some unique type of featherfin!

Lol, I bought that syno as a Featherfin Syno for $33 as well. I'm not too sure weather it is the real Network Syno (Synodontis aterrimus), or not (it may very well be a hybrid :( ).

How big is your one? And how active is it? My one is always out and about and even eats from my fingers!

Cheers, CatBrat.

:D pretty active and always begs for food when I pop around, it looks exactly like your one, its about 8 cm long (a juvenile) , I'm assuming yours is too?..it will be interesting to see how its patterning changes as it gets older..perhaps this will reveal whether it is truely a aterrimus???(young featherfins have stripey designs which dissolve into spots at it grows older, so an aterimmus maintains its stripes?)......seeing the mature looking specimens on the internet have impressive reticulations.

My one is about 12-13cm now, and it still has most of its stripes, and still looks just as attractive.

At first I was wondering weather your one was a juvi Feater-fin, but it should have got its spots by that size, and they are very diffirent from my one. I'm pretty sure that the Aterrimus keep there stripes. Have you got any pics of your one?

Cheers, CatBrat.

I have one that is ~12cm long and still has his stripes - I'll try and get pics sometime but he spends a heap of time in his wee cave under the driftwood.

Although when he comes out he seems to have no fear (tank with oscars and convicts), and even innocently tries to nibble on the oscars whenever I see him out :)

No pics unfortunately until i can get my hands on a digital camera...but hes definitly looks exactly like your one, got a pair of synodontis decorus's as well...they're alot shyer than the network syno and have an unusual pair of barbels

from the articles I've seen on the net it seems that network syno and featherfin are not all that different, just different body pattern...the network looks to be developing a nice tall dorsal already.