Sand, Silca, Gravel, Shingle, Rocks

Bay7

So being new to all of this, what is the difference between them all?

Is there any 'grade' or type that you should avoid?

Are any of them bleached or contain chemicals that could be harmful in the aquarium?

What about bigger rocks, pebbles and decorations. Are there any stone-types like limestone, marble, quarry-rock, concrete that shouldnt be used?

I believe a lot of the type of base material depends on whether you are intending on keeping live plants or not? I may do, but I intend to put them in little glass/ceramic pots of their own (if that works?) so I suppose it would then be down to personal choice??

I've looked at the other subjects regarding this below but there are a few gaps, so any advice for a complete beginner would be welcome.

Thanks.

It all depends on the aquarium and it's inhabitants as to what substrate you use but here's my personal overview of the main types.

Pea gravel is the most common type and is inert (will not alter the chemistry of the water). Ranges from size from about 4mm to 20mm. This gravel works well for most tanks, easy to clean and comes in a wide range of colours. So long as it's deep enough (5cm+), plants can be grown in it with good results.

Sand is a popular choice for people who don't mind putting a little more effort into cleaning and maintaining their substrate. It is usually purchased from hardware or fish stores and the types suitable for freshwater aquaria use are pool, building and silica sand. Care must be taken to make sure all sand is cleaned thoroughly and won't affect the chemistry of the water. Having a sand layer that is too deep gives bacteria a place to thrive and can be detrimental to the quality of the water.

Substrate for planted tanks is only needed when one is serious about growing plants. It's expensive and research will need to be done on a specific product to make sure it's suitable for your needs as each product is different.

Rocks are used to add interest to the aquarium. Rocks can be bought from the pet shop or fish shop, care must be taken with rocks collected from natural sources or purchased from landscape supply stores. Some rocks such as limestone or coral rock will raise the pH of the aquarium, not suitable unless keeping African cichlids or marine fish.

Personally, I'd go with pea gravel for a first tank. I've only recently started using planted tank substrates and have used sand in the past. Pea gravel is hassle free, is bound to come in a colour to suit your tank and won't mess with the water. Just give it a good rinse before using it in the aquarium and feel free to ask questions about a specific product.

I hope this helps!