updating bell frog tank set up... help please!!

NZLonewolf

Hi there... I currently have 7 golden bell frogs (at least I THINK all 7 are still there... lil buggers have been keeping well hidden over winter), and with the weather slowly starting to warm up & them starting to become a wee bit more active, I want to look at arranging a better set up for them. Currently they're all in 1 tank as they're all still quite small (5 are from last season's tadpoles, and the other 2 are from the previous season), but I know the tank's on the small side for all 7, so was planning on seperating the 5 smaller ones into another tank (which is a wee bit smaller), and leaving the 2 bigger ones with the bigger tank, until I can find the funds to get one really big tank to house all 7. Especially as one of the wee guys only has one eye, so thought the smaller tank might make it a bit easier for him to get some of the food. Until now, we've just been popping him in an ice cream container with flies and leaving him to it until he'd eaten them all.. then popping him back in the main tank, just to make sure he could actually get fed! Not the best wee hunter.. but he's getting there.

Anyway... long story short (sorry for the ramble :oops:), with setting up the 2nd tank, and doing up a fresh set up for the bigger one, what's the best way to go with wanting the most easy-care type set up? So far I've kept plants in pots, but they get root bound and keep dying, so been contemplating whether to plant them in dirt (would potting mix be ok to plant them in, or will that harm the frogs?), or find different plants that won't grow too much. Am a complete newbie to frogs... but want to do the best I can, but have to deal with an extremely tight budget. ANY and all help would be extremely appreciated.. including types of plants that would be suitable, best kind of set up that would require minimal cleaning, etc. Also.. how much water do Bells need? My lot don't seem at all interested in going into the "pond" section, unless they're hunting and a fly goes over there... and they usually hop out of the water as quick as possible. Almost as if they don't LIKE the water. :facepalm: Weird wee froglets! But it's made me wonder if a proper "pond" is even necessary.

Thanks heaps in advance!

If you want to d things on the cheap, go for a wander down your local creeks and have a look around. learn a bit about the local plant life and you will find heaps that will do well in your setup. (make sure you learn to identify the nasty/noxious plants as well though) and try and find areas that are spray free. around here there are wild populations of Green and red ludwigia, blue, red and plysperma hygrophillia, Lysamachia, some crypts occasionally... etc....

I would look at setting up a live gravel area that could double as a trickle system using a small airlift or powerhead, 4mm riverstone from a landscape supply shop would be cheapest, maybe with small hessian bags of soil around your plants roots.