breeding oscars??

AdamBro

has anyone had success with breeding oscars?

a mate of mine currently has 4 red tiger oscars and 3 albino oscars in a tank together hoping that a couple of them would pair up, anyone got some tips from experience or know of someone who has?

:thup:

hes got them in 200litre tank just waiting for a couple to pair

plans to upgrade though :thup:

Probably going to be looking at a 6 x 2 x 2 ft min to grow them to a size big enough to pair off and actually have a chance of no deaths when they do pair off. Probably min of 4x2x2 for a pair..

You can breed them and remove the eggs and raise them like angels (just watch fingers).

Probably going to be looking at a 6 x 2 x 2 ft min to grow them to a size big enough to pair off and actually have a chance of no deaths when they do pair off. Probably min of 4x2x2 for a pair..

You can breed them and remove the eggs and raise them like angels (just watch fingers).

last time i removed the eggs from the parents(my Jags) i got a pretty decent nip from daddy :slfg: and then only 6 eggs became fry and only 2 survived, then with the next spawning i left the eggs in with the parents and now ive got 70 odd fry swiming around :thup: i hope my mate gets a pair that are good parents like mine

At least a 1200x600 or 1500x450 footprint minimum. The bigger the better because if they get grumpy with each other them the weaker will need room to escape. We used to laugh at a 40cm pleco curled up inside a flower pot just to keep out of the way

Remember Oscars are very smart and will bite the hand holding the syphon tube trying to get the eggs or wrigglers out.

I have had them make a knuckle bleed when my brother and I were trying to get the fry out.

Also they eat enormous amounts of food and really grow fast. You need to be prepared with live food on tap otherwise you wont have many survivors when they start cannibalizing each other.