Puffer fish stocking

F15hguy

I am getting a pufferfish or a few for our shop tanks, I have not dealt with puffers before and know they can be nasty little critters.

They will be going into a VERY snail infested 100L tank and I was wondering how many should I keep in there at a time?

they are supposedly 1.5cm long atm

If they're dwarf puffers, you will have to have a different tank for the snails, either wise the puffers will eat them all. You should have ramshorn snails as MTS's shells can be too hard.

Some people have had success with ottos but they can be very aggressive

See here for more information:

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

cheers for the info, thought I should learn about them a bit more to give the customers a better chance with them.

dunno the species as the wholesaler only lists "freshwater puffers"

Yeap, will be dwarf puffers. Pretty sure ours lists them as that also. They're neat little guys! I wouldn't mind setting up a little tank for them myself :thup:

I was living in the hope someone would ID them for me as the wholesaler does not have a species ID, and also I know most of the LFS's in NZ are on here so someone would have had them before.

another question, is the common pond snail (Lymnaia) ok for food as well as we have 10 ponds here and most have some in them.

What do they look like? Kind of like this? http://fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic. ... 2e#p471890

Then yes they are what are known as 'freswhater dwarf puffers', 'pea puffers' or simply 'dwarf puffer'. The latin name is is Carinotetraodon travancoricus. I have had mine for nearly 4 years now. I find them to be very picky eaters. Mine were raised on bloodworms so thats what I feed them. I find that tehy don't mess with snails much bigger. But smaller ones do get eaten. I have 4-6 of them through the years in my 200L heavily planted tank with 4 x khuli loaches, the loaches keep the substrate very clean, and the plants take caer of the rest of it. They don't give the loaches too much grief.