680 litre tank stocking with africans

beets

just set up my tank and want to stock it with all young africans.

i want to have geraffe or livingstoni, demasoni, electric yellows, julis, and bumble bees and maybe fronts.

any recomendations on numbers and compatibility?

I would stick with the giraffes, the livingstonii will likely munch the jullies and dems, possible the giraffes can but mine never did.

Numbers - giraffes 6-10

Demasoni - 20+

Yellows - 10

Jullies - 6

bumblebees - 6-10

Could probably stock even heavier than this if you wanted.

Fronts might be ok but probably wont get allot of food in a tank with those other fish..

would Red empress get subdominant color or never show adult red color if giraffes is bigger?

Tank size roughly 1500 X 70 X 70.

2 big red kadangos 15CM +

4 giraffes 10cm+

Red empress size around 7~8 CM.

Any idea? cheers :bounce:

i have seen adult empress and adult fronts together and all were coloured nicely so i doubt it will be an issue.

the tank may be a little short for those numbers when they are adults considering they will get up to around 25cm so not sure if it's such a great idea but you also have a lot of time to deal with that as you go.

Empresses or kadangos would both be good options for some red.. I'm not sure how well kadangos and empresses would get along but only time would tell.. Another option would be to source some nice red males off rcon he mentioned they would be avaliable via stores in the future.

Tank size should be ok, I have similar fish in 540l 5ft but yeah some of them do reach 20-25cm so more room is always good, it would be a number of years before that is a consideration though..

Thx smidey.

Yep, it is a problem. besides I got 11 fronts around 10cm in that tank now... :facepalm:

It is hard to find nice 6ft+ tank. Especially with nice stand.

I sold my 6ft which looks like a wrong decision now.

I might start searching... :digH:

Empresses or kadangos would both be good options for some red.. I'm not sure how well kadangos and empresses would get along but only time would tell.. Another option would be to source some nice red males off rcon he mentioned they would be avaliable via stores in the future.

Tank size should be ok, I have similar fish in 540l 5ft but yeah some of them do reach 20-25cm so more room is always good, it would be a number of years before that is a consideration though..

thx ryan, I asked him about his ruby beauties. No sign of breeding yet. But I would definitely grab some if theres fry avaliable... :love:

I might give away red kadango when red empress grow to adult size...

tank is 1900 600 600.

ryan u say the fronts wont get much food with them. judging by what mine eat that would be by choice?

just out of interest what do u think this is worth?

has 2 canister filters plumbed through the bottom and a tap to fill/empty. so only needs circulation pump and heater going into the tank.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=486006039

sorry last 2 photos of the listing. dont know how to add photos

thx ryan, I asked him about his ruby beauties. No sign of breeding yet. But I would definitely grab some if theres fry avaliable... :love:

I might give away red kadango when red empress grow to adult size...

I am sure that his fish will be going through the stores anyway..

If you have descent red kadangos they will be a bright orange/red colour anyway?

tank is 1900 600 600.

ryan u say the fronts wont get much food with them. judging by what mine eat that would be by choice?

has 2 canister filters plumbed through the bottom and a tap to fill/empty. so only needs circulation pump and heater going into the tank.

No comment on its worth.. Fronts tend to stay lower in the tank and not be as active at feeding time, once your other haps/mbuna get bigger they will all eat tons of food meaning the fronts may miss out. They can do ok though, it depends on how the fronts are raised etc.

I am sure that his fish will be going through the stores anyway..

If you have descent red kadangos they will be a bright orange/red colour anyway?

Yeah... one of my kadango with supper nice color.

But red empress's red color and fire flame pattern on fin and tail just too good. :happy1:

tank is 1900 600 600.

Thats nice tank and good size .... :hail: It will look very nice in my lounge :lol:

well..my boss staring at me now...:evil: