Baby Beardie has a lump

madDC4

Falkor, the baby dragon is upto 7 weeks old. Has a small lump that appeared today on neck, one thing I noticed is he had a dark strip running below its eyes and its neck area almost changed to dark black colour for a hour or so, very odd, but the colour seems to have settled back to normal colours now, and was still active, alert and chasing food when I offered a cricket earlier. Doesnt seem upset. But has now settled and resting on its perch below UV lamp.

But lump remains.. could this lump be a bite from a cricket?

I will keep an eye on it for next few days, how long should it take for this to settle?

or how long should I give it to start healing before I take baby dragon to vet?

I would guess this lump has been there for maybe 24-36 hours max.

Any help much appreciated, Todd :)

Hi, yes is having calcium, with every meal.

Crickets are dusted well with calcium powder. Has fresh water daily sometimes twice a day, fresh veges on offer daily, and eats good amounts of crickets each day, also has the odd mealworm and moth aswell.

Have done some googling and found that crickets can give a bite and can result in a lump.

But would be good if anyone that has had experience with beardies can offer info

I am a bit paranoid about feeding crickets because of their biting. Locusts just hang around waiting to get eaten but the first thing crickets do is hide. They can then come out later and bite. I normally feed locusts but have recently started breeding and feeding crickets again. I am feeding 6 baby beardies at about 10-12 weeks and I put them in a large plastic container along with suitably sized crickets and leave them for a while till they eat what they want then I feed the remainder out elswhere. I have not seen the result of any bites but have heard of beardies dying of blood poisoning as a result of bites. Worse with adult crickets I think and risk can be reduced by adding a source of water such as zuchini. I only feed adults one at a time and make sure they are eaten.

OK, I checked the lump this morning when feeding. It looked the same, didnt look like it had grown. And the dragon didnt look in sort of stressed state, still alert, chased the food and ate the food, still looked aware and curious. So will check again tonight.